Vodka Jello Shots are a classic party cocktail that’s easy to whip up and can be made in any flavor of Jello you love! Be sure to make a bunch, they go fast!
Ready to make the most beloved college party cocktail ever? Vodka jello shots have been a staple with my friends and me ever since our 20’s. We’d make them for Saturday nights at Chris’s house, we’d take them tubing down the Salt River, and they popped up just about every time someone had a party. What’s not to love about jello shots?! They’re easy to make, everyone loves them, and the colors make them extra fun. So clear out some space in your fridge and let’s get going!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
This is your basic vodka jello shots recipe. We’re not making them from scratch with unflavored gelatin. We’re using boxes of flavored Jell-O gelatin mix to make these jell o shots. While I love cocktail-inspired jello shots, simple, classic jello shots with vodka are my go-to for any occasion that warrants jello shots. The only real decision you have to make for this recipe is which flavor of Jell-O you want to use. Decisions decisions.
How to Make Jello Shots
- Boil 1 cup of water on the stovetop.
- Pour a 3-ounce box of gelatin mix into a mixing bowl. Pour boiling water over jello and whisk until jello is completely dissolved.
- Add vodka and cold water, 1/2 cup each, to the mixing bowl. Whisk to combine everything together.
- Place your 2-ounce plastic cups on a baking sheet without the lids. (This make them easier to carry and pop in the fridge)
- Pour the mixture into plastic shot cups and chill in the fridge until set, about 2 hours. Once set, top with lids for storing and to make them travel-friendly!
- You can serve them as is, or top with a swirl of whipped cream on top.
How long does it take to make jello shots?
The mixing and pouring part? About 5 minutes. The hard part is waiting for the shots to set up. They take anywhere between 1.5 to 2 hours to set up all the way. No one likes a runny jello shot.
See?! How easy is that? The hard part if waiting for them to set up. It’s worth noting you’ll get about 10 or so vodka jello shots per box of Jell-O. SO if you’re making one flavor you’ll want to grab a few boxes of gelatin. Or you can have fun with your colors and flavors and mix things up!
My favorite flavored vodka and gelatin flavor pairings!
- Whipped vodka + Lemon gelatin = Lemon Meringue Pie
- Coconut vodka + Pineapple gelatin = Tropical Punch
- Cake vodka + Strawberry gelatin = Strawberry Shortcake
- Lime vodka + Cherry gelatin = Cherry Limeade
- Vanilla vodka + Peach gelatin = Peach Cobbler
The cherry, grape, and berry blue are my favorites when I’m making a big batch. That being said since vodka is a neutral spirit and doesn’t have a flavor, you can really use whichever Jell-O you love best! Which kind are you mixing up?
Can you get drunk off jello shots?
Eventually. The truth is while you may get a big alcohol taste, there isn’t really that much in each shot. You’d need about 4 jello shots to equal 1 shot of booze.
How much alcohol is in a jello shot?
This jello shot recipe uses 1/2 cup vodka for 12 shots = 1/3 ounce vodka per shot. That’s 4 jello shots to equal 1 regular shot.
Even if you take out the cold water and use 1 cup vodka = that’s still only 2/3 ounce vodka per shot. This is typical of jello shots. That’s 2 jello shots to equal 1 shot.
How do you take jello shots?
If you’re using the type of cups pictured here, run your finger around the outer edge of the shot and then suck it out of the cup.
Now they have these squeezeable jello shot cups and they’re are pretty awesome! You don’t have to get your fingers dirty and they’re easy to squeeze. No fighting the plastic to get your shot!
Love the idea of jello shot syringes? Me too! I even made Halloween jello shots in some. The thing here is that you need 2-ounce syringes. They’re big. Like bigger than you’d normally expect, but they are the same amount of jello as these little cups. You could always buy the smaller syringes, you’ll just need more of them to get a buzz.
Jazz up your jello shots! These recipes are easy to make and a party favorite!
- Peach Fizz Jello Shots
- Bomb Pop Jello Shots
- Pina Colada Jello Shots
- Margarita Tequila Jello Shots
- Black Magic Jello Shots
- Arnold Palmer Jello Shots
- Moscow Mule Jello Shots
- Bacon Bourbon Apple Jello Shots
- Lemon Cake Jello Shots
- Jello Shots
- Party Appetizers
- 3 ounces flavored gelatin mix
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 1/2 cup water, cold
- 1/2 cup vodka
- Layout plastic cups on a baking sheet without the lids on. Set aside.
- Place gelatin mix in a medium mixing bowl or 4-cup liquid measuring cup. Pour in boiling water and whisk until gelatin is completely dissolved. Pour in vodka and cold water. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the mixture into each plastic cup, filling until almost full.
- Refrigerate the shots for 2-3 hours or until set. Put lids on cups and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- You can use any flavor of Jell-O you like. I grabbed grape, orange, cherry, lime, and berry blue. Each 3-ounce box of gelatin mix will make about 10 shots, so it's good to make a few different flavors.
- Want to kick these shots up a notch? Omit the 1/2 cup cold water and use 1 cup vodka instead. Just be sure to warn your friends!