Creamy, spicy Crock Pot Queso Chicken is a Tex-Mex food lover’s dream! Put in tacos with your favorite toppings for an easy dinner win!
Why We Love Queso Chicken
- Slow cooker dishes like this queso chicken are perfect for hot summer months or busy weeknights. They’re easy to prep and you can go on with your day while it cooks.
- This saucy chicken is SO good! It’s creamy and cheesy with a little kick that’s a party in your mouth.
- Want to save time later? Make a double batch and freeze half for another night! This chicken is always in the clean plate club.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Chicken con Queso
CHICKEN: We’re using boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. They’re budget-friendly, add great flavor, and won’t dry out. If you prefer to use chicken breasts, you’ll use the same 2 pounds and proceed as directed.
SEASONING: This recipe is SUPER simple. All you need is a packet of taco seasoning (regular or chicken will work), your favorite salsa, and a jar of queso. The salsa is a great way to add more spice if “hot” salsa if you like a kick
TACO FIXIN’S: You’ll need soft taco-size flour tortillas, diced tomatoes, diced jalapeno, shredded cheese, and some cilantro. Or swap out any of these for your favorite taco toppings.
How to Make Crockpot Queso ChickenJump to Recipe
STEP 1 Add the chicken thighs, taco seasoning, and salsa to your slow cooker. Put the lid on and cook the chicken on LOW for 4 to 6 hours.
STEP 2 Once this chicken is cooked, take off the lid and use a couple of forks to shred the chicken right in the slow cooker.
STEP 3 Stir in the queso until everything is well combined and creamy.
STEP 4 Make slow cooker queso chicken tacos by adding some of the chicken and sauce to a flour tortilla. Then add your favorite toppings and dig in!
Tips & Tricks
- If you need dinner ready sooner, you can cook the chicken on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours. The chicken will be a little drier, but will still taste great.
- Any leftover chicken will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- This chicken freezes very well for a make-ahead meal. Once the meat is done cooking, allow the mixture to cool, place the meat into freezer-safe Ziploc bags, and store it in the freezer for up to 5 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave.
- Chicken queso is great for burrito bowls, on top of salads, in quesadillas, or for sandwiches too!
Crock Pot Queso Chicken FAQ
Can you put raw chicken in a slow cooker?
You sure can. I’ve used raw chicken in slow cooker recipes for years. You can always double-check that your chicken is fully cooked using an instant-read thermometer to see that the internal temp has reached 165 degrees F.
Frozen chicken won’t cook quite as evenly as raw chicken, but it’s not a deal breaker and can brer great for when you forgot to thaw the chicken in the fridge overnight.
How long does it take to cook chicken in a slow cooker?
Cooking times for chicken in a slow cooker will vary slightly by the brand, but most importantly by the but and whether you’re using raw or frozen chicken.
- Raw boneless skinless chicken breasts – 2 to 3 hours on HIGH or 4 to 6 hours on LOW
- Frozen boneless skinless chicken breast – 6 to 8 hours on LOW
- Raw boneless skinless chicken thighs – 2 to 3 hours on HIGH or 4 to 6 hours on LOW
- Whole chicken – 4 to 5 hours on HIGH or 7 to 8 hours on LOW
Other Recipes You May like
- One Pot Taco Spaghetti
- Queso Blanco Chicken Nachos
- Slow Cooker Pork Tinga
- Easy Seasoned Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Crock Pot Spinach & Bacon Queso Dip
Crock Pot Queso Chicken
- Add the chicken thighs, taco seasoning, and salsa to a slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours.
- Uncover the slow cooker and use two forks to shred the chicken. Stir in the queso until everything is nice and creamy.
- Assemble the tacos by adding some queso chicken to a tortilla and then adding your desired toppings.
- Chicken breasts can be used instead of chicken thighs.
- This recipe can be cooked on the HIGH temp setting for 2-3 hours, but the chicken will come out a little drier than if you cook it on LOW.
- This chicken freezes very well for a make-ahead meal. Once the meat is done cooking, allow the mixture to cool. Then place the meat into freezer-safe Ziploc bags and store in the freezer for up to 5 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.