This classic Hot Toddy is a soothing combination of whiskey, honey & lemon for a perfect remedy to winter chills or warming up on cold nights!
Why We Love a Hot Toddy Drink
- A warm drink on a cold night always makes me feel cozy. Having a hot toddy is a perfect way to spend the evening snuggled up on the couch. I like having an option besides coffee or tea before bed.
- This cocktail is a great way to help you fight the inevitable winter cold season. It has vitamin C and honey to help soothe your throat. Anytime I’m feeling under the weather my husband will make this drink for me.
- You can gussy up your hot toddy with lemon slices and cinnamon sticks. While they might not seem like a party drink, they’re great to share with a small group of friends around the fire out back.
Hot Toddy Ingredients
WHISKEY: I usually use Irish whiskey or bourbon for my Hot Toddy since we always have those options on our home bar. Any non-flavored American whiskey and most Scotch whisky will work as well. (I would stay away from heavily peated Scotch and Irish whiskey though.) You don’t need to use anything super high-end since you’re mixing it, but a nice middle-shelf whiskey is recommended.
LEMON: Freshly squeezed lemon juice is going to taste the best, but when you’re feeling crappy you don’t want to go through the extra effort. Right?! Bottled lemon juice is completely acceptable.
HONEY: To sweeten things up and help your throat, grab some honey. I suggest using regular honey or orange blossom. Wildflower and other herbaceous honeys are not recommended, and stay away from hot honey!
How to Make a Hot ToddyJump to Recipe
STEP 1 Bring 8 ounces of water to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Then pour the hot water into a 12-ounce coffee mug.
STEP 2 Pour in the whiskey, honey, and lemon juice.
STEP 3 Stir everything together until the honey dissolves. Check the taste and adjust with honey and lemon as needed. Serve the cocktail as is, or garnish with a lemon slice and/or cinnamon stick.
Tips & Tricks
- You can adjust the taste of a Hot Toddy to your liking. I like mine to be a touch on the sweet side, so I use a heaping tablespoon of honey. You don’t want to use more than that. If you find the cocktail is too sweet, you can add a splash more of lemon juice to balance it out.
- You don’t have to garnish your hot toddy with anything. But if you’re serving them to a group, a slice of lemon and/or a cinnamon stick is a nice touch.
- For a pretty presentation, you can use footed glass mugs, like you would for an Irish Coffee. Otherwise, a coffee mug is just fine.
- If you have a Keurig, you can use it for the hot water instead of the stove. Just be sure to run a hot water cycle first to clear out any coffee residue/taste so it doesn’t affect your cocktail.
Hot Toddy Recipe FAQ
What is a Hot Toddy?
Hot Toddy is a cocktail made from hot water, whiskey, honey, and lemon. It can sometimes contain herbs (like tea) and spices, too.
Does a Hot Toddy actually help a cold?
This cocktail totally helps me when I have cold symptoms. Drinking a Hot Toddy when you’re sick is more about soothing your throat and body and less about it working as a type of cold medicine. This drink is warm and tasty and helps me get to sleep while making my throat hurt less. I call that a win.
Why are Hot Toddies good when you’re sick?
The saying goes, “Vitamin C for health, honey to soothe, and alcohol to numb.” The honey is a tried and true sore throat home remedy and can help act as a cough suppressant. The lemon juice has vitamin C to help boost your immune system. The whiskey can help you get to sleep and hopefully gives you a tiny boozy buzz to help you feel a little less crappy. Not to mention a hot drink on a cold night is just super comforting when you’re wrapped up in a blanket.
Other Recipes You May Like
- Add the water to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Pour the hot water into a coffee mug. Add the whiskey, lemon juice, and honey. Stir until the honey has dissolved. Adjust the honey and lemon to taste (it shouldn't be overly sweet).
- Garnish with a lemon slice and/or cinnamon stick, if desired. Serve immediately.
- I usually use Irish whiskey for my hot toddy. American whiskey and Scotch whisky will both work as well.
- If you have a Keurig, you can use it for the hot water instead. Just be sure to run a hot water cycle first to clear out any coffee residue/taste so it doesn’t affect your cocktail.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.