Mexican Hot Chocolate Shortbread are full of deep, spicy chocolate flavors that beg to be eaten!
I found these cookies a couple years ago in one of those Christmas cookie magazines and had to make them. I love cookies. Hell, one of my desert island foods is chocolate chip cookies, but sometimes a break from the super sweet variety is awesome. That’s what these fun holiday cookies are. A slightly spicy chocolate bite that’s made for hot chocolate lovers!
The texture of these cookies totally gets me. They’re soft. Like softer than I was expecting. Normally I think of shortbread as being almost dry, flaky, and they have a firmer cookie texture. These cookies have a just firm enough outside to hold together and a soft inside. Just don’t pop like 3 back-to-back unless you have a big glass of milk to cool your mouth down.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground coffee
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 dergees F. Line a baking sheet with a Sil-Pat or parchement paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and almond extract until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt, coffee, and cayenne pepper. Mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine all-purpose flour and almond flour. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in 3 additions, mixing until just combined after each addition. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Portion dough by the tablespoonful using a small cookie scoop onto the prepared baking sheet. Roll each portion of cookie dough into a ball, and then roll the ball in granulated sugar. Place the cookie dough ball back on the baking sheet. Use the bottom of a drinking glass to flatten the cookie dough balls.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.