Chicken + Cornbread Casserole is one of those dishes that just screams comfort food! Every time I eat it, I’m transported back to my grandma’s kitchen!
I’ve been obsessed with Miss Mary Bobo’s Boarding House for years. Mike’s been to Miss Mary Bobo’s twice on trips to the Jack Daniel’s distillery. Oh, and he’s met Lynne Tolley both times. Yeah. He knows I get jealous so each time he goes he brings me a new cookbook from their gift shop.
This last time, he texted me pictures of the books they have, just to make sure I didn’t have the one he wanted to buy already. I’ve got about 4 of the Miss Marry Bobo’s and Jack Daniel’s cookbooks. This last trip, he got me the Miss Mary Bobo’s Boarding House Cookbook and it’s amazing. It’s all the southern food I grew up loving when my grandma would cook.
So this casserole is amazing. It’s creamy and has cornbread, which is never a bad idea, and is just insanely good. Mike’s not into traditional Thanksgiving dressing, and the sage cornbread combo reminded him a little too much of that flavor. But I thought it was perfect. The red pepper flakes give a little touch of heat and the sage is just right. If you’re into sage, take it up a notch. Do it! I was trying to keep the man happy.
Looking for more dinner ideas?
- 3 cups cornbread, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine cornbread, seasoned salt, and sage. Pour in melted butter and chicken stock. Gently stir to moisten cornbread.
- In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, and mayonnaise. Add chicken, onion powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Coat the bottom of a 9" x 11" baking dish with half the cornbread mixture. Gently press the crumbs into the dish. Don't pack them in, just a little smoosh. Top crumbs with all of the chicken mixture. Spread chicken evenly over cornbread. Top chicken with remaining cornbread, spread evenly, and don't press the crumbs...just leave them as is.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Top casserole with cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove from oven, and serve warm.