One Pan Broccoli Cheese & Chicken Rice Skillet is one of my favorite comfort foods! Easy to make, oh so cheesy & sure to warm the soul.
Broccoli cheese soup is one of my favorite foods to eat. I make a bowl, stuff it full of crumbled crackers and get my nosh on. It’s the best! Now I’m turning my favorite soup into an easy 30-minute, One Pan Broccoli Cheese & Chicken Rice Skillet dinner for the whole family to enjoy.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
I like making this dinner in a skillet (as opposed to baking in a casserole dish) so I can make sure the rice is cooked through and add more liquid as needed. It comes out having almost a risotto texture, creamy and soft. You can adjust the risotto-esque softness by adding less liquid in the beginning and then pouring in more liquid, only as needed, to finish the dish. If you like a little crunch, you can sprinkle the top of the skillet with Ritz cracker crumbs. It’s so good you guys!
While I used broccoli cheese soup in this dish, cream of chicken is fine too. I used what I had on hand. Same with the cheddar cheese I sprinkled on top. Yellow cheddar would have made more of an impact, but I has white cheddar in the fridge. Cooking should be fun and this dinner is meant to be convenient.
One Pan Broccoli Cheese & Chicken Rice Skillet
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove peeled and minced
- 1 large chicken breast or 2 thin cut breasts, diced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 10.75 ounce cream of chicken soup or broccoli cheese soup
- 1 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 1 cup broccoli florets rough chopped
- 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers optional
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic. Cook for 1 minute stirring frequently. Add the chicken. Stir to combine. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, milk, broth, and soup to the skillet. Stir to combine until the soup is broken up into the liquid.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer. Stir, and then cover the skillet. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.. (If you don't have a lid for your skillet, it's okay. Just give the dish a stir a little more often.) Uncover and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through.
- Add half the cheese and the broccoli to the skillet. Stir to combine. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes so that the cheese is melted and the broccoli is warmed but still has a little crunch.
- Sprinkle the top of your dish with the remaining cheese (and cracker crumbs, if desired). Place your skillet under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes until the cheese is melted (and crackers are golden).
- Server immediately.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
This post first appeared on Yellow Bliss Road where I am a contributor.
Leave a Reply