One Pan Broccoli Cheese & Chicken Rice Skillet is one of my favorite comfort foods! Easy to make, oh so cheesy & sure to warm the soul.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
Broccoli cheese soup is one of my favorite foods to eat. I make a bowl, stuff it full of crumbled crackers and get my nosh on. It’s the best! Now I’m turning my favorite soup into an easy 30-minute, One Pan Broccoli Cheese & Chicken Rice Skillet dinner for the whole family to enjoy.
I like making this dinner in a skillet (as opposed to baking in a casserole dish) so I can make sure the rice is cooked through and add more liquid as needed. It comes out having almost a risotto texture, creamy and soft. You can adjust the risotto-esque softness by adding less liquid in the beginning and then pouring in more liquid, only as needed, to finish the dish. If you like a little crunch, you can sprinkle the top of the skillet with Ritz cracker crumbs. It’s so good you guys!
While I used broccoli cheese soup in this dish, cream of chicken is fine too. I used what I had on hand. Same with the cheddar cheese I sprinkled on top. Yellow cheddar would have made more of an impact, but I has white cheddar in the fridge. Cooking should be fun and this dinner is meant to be convenient.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 large chicken breast, or 2 thin cut breasts, diced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 10.75 ounce cream of chicken soup, or broccoli cheese soup
- 1 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 1 cup broccoli florets, rough chopped
- 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers, optional
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic. Cook for 1 minute stirring frequently. Add the chicken. Stir to combine. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, milk, broth, and soup to the skillet. Stir to combine until the soup is broken up into the liquid.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer. Stir, and then cover the skillet. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.. (If you don't have a lid for your skillet, it's okay. Just give the dish a stir a little more often.) Uncover and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through.
- Add half the cheese and the broccoli to the skillet. Stir to combine. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes so that the cheese is melted and the broccoli is warmed but still has a little crunch.
- Sprinkle the top of your dish with the remaining cheese (and cracker crumbs, if desired). Place your skillet under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes until the cheese is melted (and crackers are golden).
- Server immediately.
This post first appeared on Yellow Bliss Road where I am a contributor.