Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole is a southwest spin on Southern comfort food your family will ask for time and again!
Today’s dish is a comforting dinner that has a little kick to it and it’s totally fabulous! I mentioned how I’m obsessed with Miss Mary Bobo’s (their Chicken & Cornbread Casserole…swoon!) and this dish is another of the killer recipes from the cookbook.
After my Hatch Chile, Chicken & Bacon Calzone adventure, I still had pounds of chiles left. Pounds.
This chicken and rice casserole recipe was jumping up and down and waving its hands begging to be made. So I made it. And boy am I glad I did!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
Living Arizona, you develop a taste for chiles and Mexican food. Being so close to the border with so many delicious options it’s hard not to.
When I found this cheesy chicken and rice casserole recipe in Miss Mary Bobo’s Boarding House Cookbook I knew I had to try it.
This dish is so easy to make. Like insanely easy.
It’s perfect for weeknights when you don’t really want to cook. All you do is cook the chicken, shred it, Mix everything up, throw it in a dish and into the oven, and then forget about it for a while.
Ingredients for Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Boneless skinless chicken breast – to save on prep, you can use a rotisserie chicken instead. Chicken thighs are totally okay too. I’m all about getting what’s on sale.
- Cooked white rice – I usually make instant rice to keep it quick.
- Sour cream
- Condensed cream of celery soup – you can swap in cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup too
- Mild hatch green chiles – the diced chiles in a can, not fresh
- Salt & pepper
- Shredded Colby-jack cheese – you can swap for cheddar if you prefer
- Green onions or fresh parsley for garnish
How to Make Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. Then grab a 9-inch x 9-inch casserole dish and coat the inside with non-stick cooking spray. Set this aside for now.
- Next, cook the chicken in a skillet over medium heat for 3 to4 minutes per side. Once the chicken is cooked through (no longer pink inside), transfer it to a cutting board and chop or shred it.
- Once the chicken is done, add the cooked rice, sour cream, cream of celery soup, and green chiles to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Then you’ll add the chicken, salt, and pepper to the rice mixture and stir everything one more time until it’s all mixed up.
- Grab your prepared baking dish and pour half of the rice mixture in the bottom of the dish. Then use a spoon or rubber spatula to spread the rice into an even layer. Top the rice with 1 cup of shredded cheese. Repeat the layers one more time.
- Place the baking dish into your hot oven on the middle rack. Bake the casserole for 40 to 45 minutes until it’s nice and bubbly.
- Take the baking dish out of the oven and let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. I like to top this casserole with some chopped parsley or green onion for garnish.
The leftovers were gone in two days between me and Mike.
I put a big dollop of sour cream on top of my serving and went to town. But then again, I put sour cream on practically everything.
This casserole is a hand down winner. Mike flat out said, “Wife, you should definitely make this again.” Boom. When the husband loves it that’s a good sign.
Looking for some more casseroles to feed the fam?
- Hot Dish Tater Tot Casserole
- Skillet Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole
- Chicken Glorioso Pasta Bake
- Bacon, Beef & Bean Casserole
- More dinner ideas
Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast (or 2 thin cut breasts)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5.52 ounces cream of celery soup (half of a can)
- ⅓ cup canned mild hatch green chiles chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups Colby-jack cheese shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley or green onion chopped, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch x 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- If using 1 large breast, cut it in half to create two thin chicken breast pieces. Butterfly the chicken and then finish cutting all the way through.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until no longer pink and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and finely chop or shred the chicken.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cooked rice, sour cream, soup, and green chiles. Add the chicken, salt, and pepper and mix to combine.
- Pour half of the rice mixture into your prepared dish and spread it into an even layer. Top with 1 cup of cheese. Pour the remaining rice mixture over the cheese, spread evenly, and then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the casserole is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.
- I have made this casserole with uncooked white rice instead of instant rice. The rice is a little on the crunchy side at the end of the 45 minute cooking time. This recipe needs pre-cooked rice. Instant rice (1 cup uncooked and then prepared) or leftover cooked rice (2 cups cooked) from the night before are the best options.
- You can substitute cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup if needed.
- To save on prep you can use a rotisserie chicken and chop or shred both breasts.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
If you love dinner casserole as much as we do you’re in luck! We have 15 dinner casserole recipes that are sure to make your family happy and leave everyone at your table feeling satisfied.
- Pizza Tortellini Skillet Casserole
- Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- Ham & Mac Casserole
- Chicken & Spinach Pasta Bake
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Spinach & Mushroom Alfredo Baked Ziti
- Spinach & Chicken Enchiladas Bake
- Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole
- Pizza Pasta Casserole
- Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie Casserole
- Chicken Noodle Soup Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli & Rice Casserole