Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole is a southwest spin on Southern comfort food your family will ask for time and again!
Today’s dish is comforting dinner that has a little kick to it and it’s totally fabulous! I mentioned how I’m obsessed with Miss Mary Bobo’s and this dish is another of the killer recipes from the cookbook. After my Hatch Chile, Chicken & Bacon Calzone adventure, I still had pounds of chiles left. Pounds. This casserole was jumping up and down and waving its hands begging to be made. So I made it! And boy am I glad I did!!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
Living Arizona, you develop a taste for chiles and Mexican food. Being so close to the border with so many delicious options it’s hard not to. When I found this Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole recipe in Miss Mary Bobo’s Boarding House Cookbook I knew I had to try it. This dish is so easy to make. Like insanely easy. It’s perfect for weeknights when you don’t really want to cook. All you do is cook the chicken, shred it, Mix everything up, throw it in a dish and into the oven, and then forget about it for a while.
The leftovers were gone in two days between me and Mike. I put a big dollop of sour cream on top of my serving and went to town. But then again, I put sour cream on practically everything. This casserole is a hand down winner, make it forever dish in our house!
If you love dinner casserole as much as we do you’re in luck! We have 15 dinner casserole recipes that are sure to make your family happy and leave everyone at your table feeling satisfied.
- Pizza Tortellini Skillet Casserole
- Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- Ham & Mac Casserole
- Chicken & Spinach Pasta Bake
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Spinach & Mushroom Alfredo Baked Ziti
- Spinach & Chicken Enchiladas Bake
- Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole
- Pizza Pasta Casserole
- Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie Casserole
- Chicken Noodle Soup Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli & Rice Casserole
Hungry for More?
- 1 large chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 2 cups cooked white rice, I use instant rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10.5 ounce can cream of celery soup, only need half the can
- 1/3 cup hatch green chiles, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups Colby-jack cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut chicken breasts in half to create two thin chicken breast pieces (butterfly the chicken and then finish cutting all the way through).
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until cooked through and no longer pink, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and finely chop or shred the chicken.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cooked rice, sour cream, soup, and green chiles. Add the chicken, salt, and pepper & mix to combine.
- Spray a 9-inch by 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour half the rice mixture into dish and spread into an even layer. Top with 1 cup cheese. Pour the remaining rice mixture over the cheese, spread evenly, and then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the casserole is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.