Coconut Sweet Potato Casserole is a healthier spin on a holiday favorite! It’s the perfect holiday dish to make for your guests!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
Sweet potatoes are a must for our holiday table. I could almost forego having mashed potatoes for sweet potatoes…almost. While I love to eat sweet potatoes every way under the sun (alla Green Eggs & Ham) sweet potato casserole has always held a special place in my heart. Maybe it’s the memories of it on our holiday table growing up, maybe it’s the pure joy I feel at a big casserole dish full of sweet potatoes. No matter the reason, they’re the best!
This year for Thanksgiving I wanted to do something a little different with our sweet potatoes. While topping them with marshmallows & caramel it always good, I decided to lighten things up. I think my aunt would be SUPER proud of me. Instead of half-n-half, maple syrup, brown sugar, an egg, and sugary toppings, I decided to grab a can of coconut cream, some honey, and a ton of coconut flakes. (the giant flakes, not the tiny shredded stuff) It was a-m-a-z-i-n-g! I made this casserole on the not so sweet side, but you can add more honey (or agave or whatever sweetener you like) to taste. Warm everything through and you’ll have a gorgeous casserole that no one would even suspect is healthy!
If you love tasty sweet potato recipes as much as I do, then you’re in luck! This month’s feast & devour is all about sweet potatoes!! We’re showing you how to eat them for every meal from breakfast to dinner!
- Coconut Sweet Potato Casserole from Bread Booze Bacon
- Baked Sweet Potato Donuts from I Heart Eating
- Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls from Kleinworth & Co.
- Candied Sweet Potato Stacks from Cooking with Curls
- Cranberry Sweet Potato Casserole from Home.Made.Interest.
- Harvest Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner from The Creative Bite
- Butter Pecan Sweet Potatoes from Liz on Call
Hungry for More?
- Maple Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Bacon
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Marshmallow & Caramel Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 14 ounce can coconut cream
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 ounces organic coconut flakes, the big ones, not the shredded stuff
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potato pieces into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with coconut and season with salt & pepper. Toss to coat the potatoes.
- Pour the sweet potatoes onto your prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from the oven and let rest until cool enough to handle.
- Place half of the sweet potatoes in a food processor. Pour in half of the coconut cream, honey, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Puree until mostly smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Transfer the sweet potatoes to 2.5-quart casserole dish and repeat with the remaining potatoes, coconut cream, honey, and salt.
- Stir the potatoes together in the casserole dish, and then spread evenly.
- Top the casserole with coconut flakes, spreading then all over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until warmed through.
- Removed from the oven and serve immediately.