Posted by https://breadboozebacon.com/kryptonite-candy/
© 2016 Bread Booze Bacon. All rights reserved.
Get ready to take down Superman with our Kryptonite Rock Candy! No super-villain should leave home without it!
- 3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 to 3 drop electric green gel food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon candy flavoring, optional
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Sil-Pat and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the sugar, corn syrup, water, and cream of tartar. Keep cooking and stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium / medium-high. Place the candy thermometer into the liquid candy being sure the probe does not touch the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for 20 to 40 minutes, or until the candy reaches 300 degrees F on the candy thermometer.
- Removed from the heat and whisk in the food coloring and candy flavoring, if desired.
- Immediately pour onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Allow the candy to cool completely. (Min took 45 minutes to 1 hour.)
- Break the candy into medium sized pieces. I used a metal skewer and meat mallet to accomplish this, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Pour the powdered sugar into a gallon sized Ziploc bag. Add the candy pieces to the bag. Seal the bag and gently roll around the candy and the sugar until the candy has a light dusting over all of the pieces. Serve immediately or store in the same bag until ready to eat.
Suggested flavorings include mint oil, green apple oil, lime oil, or vanilla extract. ONLY adding flavoring to the candy at the very end once the hot candy has been removed from the heat. Be carefully when adding the flavoring in as the candy may sputter & steam, and push that aroma right back into your face.
You can also use any food color & flavor combination you like to make this candy match your party or holiday theme.
Loading nutrition data...