Forget the store bought stuff! This Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing is easy to make and tastes a million times better than what you’ll find on the shelf!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
I know I’ve said it before, but I’m saying it again…homemade salad dressings are the best. The pre-made store variety is not bad, don’t get me wrong, but there’s nothing like a fresh light dressing, like my homemade Italian Dressing. Even this Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing tastes lighter than the ones I’ve purchased at the store. It’s crazy! And that’s why I’m sharing it with all of you. So you can enjoy this deliciousness and put it all over your wedge salads too!!
Most creamy salad dressings have a pretty simple base. You start with mayo, a little milk to thin things out and then go from there.
Blue Cheese Dressing Ingredients
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Milk, half-n-half, or buttermilk
- Vinegar or lemon juice
I’ve seen many different variations on blue cheese dressing. Some use a little Worcestershire sauce to deepen the flavor. Other recipes use a few drops of hot sauce. I’ve even seen ones using dry mustard. The best part about this dressing is that it’s easy to adjust the vinegar or seasoning levels to your taste.
My dad was always big on Roquefort dressing. If you’re not familiar, Roquefort is a French blue cheese as opposed to the Italian gorgonzola you find in most stores. Just be sure to grab your favorite blue cheese for this recipe. Like it stinky? Go for it! Want something a little more tame? That’s okay too.
How to Make Blue Cheese Dressing
- Mix together milk and lemon juice to create sour milk (or substitute buttermilk)
- Whisk together mayo, sour cream, sugar, and seasonings.
- Whisk in blue cheese, sour milk, and vinegar.
- Store in an airtight container.
You can always add some extra blue cheese crumbles to your salad as well to boost the flavor and control the level of tang. This dressing is my absolute favorite blue cheese dressing recipe. Even with the rich mayo, sour cream, and blue cheese this dressing still manages to taste light. It doesn’t make me feel heavy or coat my mouth in the way some dressings can. It’s my salad’s BFF and I hope it will be yours too!
Hungry for More?
- 1 Tablespoon half-n-half
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream, (or greek yogurt)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 1/2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Stir together half-n-half and lemon juice in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together mayo and sour cream until combined. Add sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and mix again.
- Add blue cheese, soured milk (from step 1), and vinegar. Whisk to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge.