Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup is homemade goodness! Better than any pre-made soup, this easy recipe is delicious by itself or served alongside a salad!
There are some foods that call to me. Their my comfort foods that no matter the kind of day I’m having or how stressed I feeling about cooking they make me happy to eat. Ever since college broccoli cheese soup has been my BFF. Granted I use using the canned soup and adding milk on my stove top, but a bowl of crushed saltine crackers with hot soup pour on top is bliss! These days I like to go the homemade route with this Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup. It crushes the pre-made stuff and is so rich and tasty!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
This broccoli cheese soup recipe is crazy easy to make. It just needs a little time on the stove to simmer and get all those flavors to layer. If you have an hour, you can have the best broccoli cheese soup you’ve ever put in your mouth. AND I usually have enough for leftovers since this soup isn’t Mike’s jam. More for me!! I grab those saltine crackers or a piece of crusty bread and go to town. I might lick the bowl when I’m home alone. Don’t judge.
How to Make Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Saute onions in some butter. Set aside.
- Make a roux and whisk in chicken broth and heavy cream. Simmer.
- Add veggies and simmer again until veggies are tender.
- Add seasonings and cheese. Stir until combined.
- Serve as is or use an immersion blender to puree soup. Serve immediately.
The hardest part about making this soup is deciding if you want to puree the soup or not. I chop my broccoli up very fine so there aren’t really any large chunks. (see above) But it’s all about personal preference. Like your soup with chunks of broccoli and carrot, boom! You’re done. Prefer a silky smooth texture to your soup? Puree away! If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender. Divide the soup in half and puree in batches. Be sure to use a towel while you hold the blender lid on. All that heat from the soup creates pressure and the lid will try to pop off.
I really can’t express how much I love this soup. While I’ll probably grab Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup when I’m in a rush because OMG the Pick 2 with a Turkey Bacon Bravo is my fave, anytime I have the chance to go homemade with this broccoli cheese soup recipe, it’s game on!
Hungry for More?
- One Pan Broccoli Cheese & Chicken Rice Skillet
- Chicken & Cornbread Casserole
- Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes until softened, stirring often. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add flour and whisk to make a roux. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and then heavy cream until smooth. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli, carrots, and cooked onions to the pot. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for another 25 minutes, stirring often.
- Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add cheese and stir until melted. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- At this point the soup is ready to serve, but if you prefer, you can use an immersion blender to puree the vegetables into the soup. It's delicious both ways.
- Portion soup into bowls and garnish with more shredded cheese on top if desired. Serve immediately.