Cuervo & Tecate Slow Cooker Carnitas recipe is packed with so much flavor. This Mexican-style pork is super easy to make and perfect for Taco Tuesday!
You guys!!! I’ve got a killer recipe for you to make and I’m showing off my amazing friend Kristy’s cookbook Cooking with Cocktails! I was a recipe tester for a few months for this book and everything I had was delicious. From the Dark & Stormy Popcorn to the Sparkling Rose Roquefort Salad Dressing, I was in heaven. When Kristy book launched, I wanted to shout it to the word and I did with her recipe for Bourbon-Soaked Cherries Tiramisu. But I’ve been holding out on you…this Cuervo & Tecate Slow Cooker Carnitas recipe is the bee’s knees!!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
Now I’ve made carnitas before. Lots of times. Braised in the oven and in the slow cooker, and this recipe trumped all those times. I wish I had smell-o-blog for you all can OMG. First, your house is going to smell wicked good. And then when you open the crock pot you’re going to get all these orange aromas alongside the meatiness. Then, once you shred the meat it’s a whole new level. You get the spiciness from the chipotle and those subtle beer flavors and tequila notes. It’s really fantastic and every bite is packed with flavor. I’m salivating just writing this.
The best part about this recipe is that it makes a lot. It’s perfect for potlucks and big get-togethers with friends and family. Or use this recipe to meal prep for the week. We put this pork carnitas in burritos, tacos, quesadillas, and burrito bowls. It was a great cook once and eat all week recipe. I really expected nothing less though. When I told Kristy I was making this recipe she sang its praises and told me how often she makes it herself. You can’t be tried-and-true goodness.
Hungry for More?
Cuervo & Tecate Slow Cooker Carnitas
- 4 pounds pork shoulder trimmed of excess fat
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves peeled and smashed with the flat side of a knife
- 1 orange zested & juiced
- 2 limes zested & juiced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 24 ounces Tecate lager
- 1/2 cup Jose Cuervo gold tequila
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the pork shoulder in a 5-quart crock pot.
- To the crock pot add the onion, garlic, orange juice and zest, lime juice and zest, tomato paste, cumin, oregano, bay leaves, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, Tecate, Cuervo, vegetable stock, salt, and pepper. The pork should be covered all most all the way by the liquid.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on LOW for 7 hours.
- Uncover the crock pot and remove the pork to a serving platter, and set aside.
- Pour the liquid in the crock pot through a strainer (to catch the solids) and into a medium saucepan. If you like you can puree the solids and add them to the liquid or discard. Bring the liquid to a simmer over medium heat and reduce to 1 cup.
- While the braising liquid cooks, use a couple forks to shred the pork.
- Once the liquid has reduced, place the pork in a serving bowl and pour the liquid over the meat. Toss the meat in the liquid until coated. Serve immediately.
- If you're wanting to keep the meat warm or serve it buffet style, return the shredded pork to the crock pot and toss in the liquid. Cover the crock pot and set to WARM until ready to serve.