Satisfy your burrito cravings with an easy, one-pan Beef Burrito Skillet! Cook it on the stove or on the grill for a tasty meal ready in under 30 minutes!
One of our favorite things to do every Saturday is get together with friends hang out in the backyard. We play darts, grill up some food, and hang out. It’s the best!
A one-pan Beef Burrito Skillet is the perfect dish for your backyard party. (If friends are over it’s a party, even if it’s a small one!) Pair it with THE best margarita recipe and you’ve got yourself quite a Saturday night!
This Beef Burrito Skillet kicks ass!
I said it.
It’s a totally yummy “man food” meal that’ll have everyone gravitating toward the skillet. The best part is, you can eat it as is or top it with all kinds of delicious things to round out your burrito experience.
When I think of burritos, bean and cheese is the first thing that comes to mind. Then I drift off into carne asada land with melty cheese and sour cream. YUM! But ground beef is the perfect meat for this skillet meal.
I mean really, if you like soft tacos, you could basically call this a taco skillet too. I’m going burrito though.
Easy Burrito Skillet Ingredients
- Ground beef or ground turkey
- Taco seasoning
- Canned red kidney beans
- Fajita-sized flour tortillas (the 6-inch ones)
- Shredded Colby Jack or cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped avocado
- Sliced black olives
- Pica de gallo
How to Make a Skillet Burrito
You can make your burrito skillet on the stovetop or on the grill. Just be sure to grab a skillet that’s safe for your cooking device. I highly recommend a cast-iron skillet since it works for both options.
Stovetop: Place a large deep-sided skillet over medium heat.
Grilling: Light and prepare a charcoal grill or turn your propane grill to medium heat. Place a large cast-iron skillet on the grill.
- Start off by adding the ground beef to your hot skillet. Cook the beef for 8 to 10 minutes until it’s no longer pink. While the meat cooks, use a spatula or wooden spoon to break it up.
- Next, add some water, the taco seasoning, salsa, and kidney beans to the ground beef. Give it all a stir to mix in the seasoning. Bring the pan to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- After that, add the tortilla pieces into the skillet and stir them into the beef mixture.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese all over the top and cover the skillet. Use a lid if you’re on the stovetop, or close the grill top if grilling.
- Once the cheese is melted, carefully remove the skillet from the cooking surface. (Potholders are your friend!!)
- Top the skillet with sour cream, sliced green onions, and any other toppings you like! Serve right from the skillet or portion onto plates while your dinner is still warm.
Super easy and and and…
So great for tailgating.
“OMG, Julie that’s such a good idea!”
I know. I gotcha guys. 😉
Seriously though. Take this skillet meal tailgating. Your friends will thank you. Prep your ingredients at home and pack them in a cooler in either tupperware or ziploc bags. Then throw it all together on site. Boom! An easy sharable meal.
The first time I made this burrito skillet was on the grill. Once it was all done cooking, brought it into the boys. I was going to plate it up, and they said, “Just grab some forks.”
You don’t have to tell me twice. Fewer dishes?! Yes, please.
We stood around the kitchen island and grubbed so hard.
Mike said he would add fewer beans, but he’s also the guy that doesn’t like beans in his chili at all.
I thought it was perfect as is.
I have no idea why I didn’t grab some avocados at the store to top the skillet with. Next time darlings. Next time.
The minis liked their burrito helping with some sour cream only, but Mike and I went to town. I even busted out the Cholula for a little zing!
More tasty One Pot Meals!
- One Pan Broccoli Cheese & Chicken Rice Skillet
- Skillet Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole
- One Pan Pork Tenderloin with Asparagus & Potatoes
Mexican food for days!
- Easy Seasoned Chicken Tacos
- Pork Chilaquiles
- Queso Fundido con Chorizo
- Slow Cooker Pork Tinga
- More dinner recipes
One-Pan Beef Burrito Skillet
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¾ packet taco seasoning mix (from a 1.25 ounce packet)
- 15.5 ounces red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa (this is a great way to add more heat by using spicy salsa)
- 1 cup water
- 4 fajita-sized (6-inch) flour tortillas cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups Colby jack cheese shredded (or cheddar)
- Sour cream for garnish
- Green onions sliced, for garnish
- Avocado chopped
- Tomato chopped
- Black olives sliced
- Pico de Gallo
- Place a large, deep-sided skillet or cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Light and prepare charcoal in your grill or turn your grill to medium for propane grills. Place a large cast-iron skillet on the grill.
- Add ground beef to skillet, and cook until browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to break up the meat as it cooks.
- To the skillet, add taco seasoning, water, salsa, and beans. Stir ingredients until completely combined. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tortilla pieces, and stir to combine. Top with cheese and cover the skillet (or close the grill top). When the cheese has melted, remove the skillet from the stovetop or grill.
- Top the burrito skillet with sour cream, green onions, and any other garnish you like. Portion individual servings, or let everyone grab a fork and eat right from the skillet! Serve warm.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.