Sponsored post by me on behalf of FARMER JOHN®, MISSION®, & TABASCO® Sauce. The opinions and text are 100% mine.
Start your morning off with a skillet of my Pork Chilaquiles Recipe! It’s a savory nacho style dish that’s satisfying, full of flavor & great for breakfast!
I’ve had the biggest crush on chilaquiles ever since my waitress days. The kitchen staff used to make chilaquiles with eggs in the morning for the weekend shift and chilaquiles verdes at night after the dinner shift was over. They’re one of my favorite Mexican food dishes and today I’m finally making them at home! At work, we’d have our chilaquiles with chicken, but I’m using shredded pork (that would be amazing with some pork rib rub on it) to boost the protein and make this breakfast extra hearty!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
What are chilaquiles
- Chilaquiles (Chee-lah-key-lehs) are a dish of baked or fried tortilla strips topped with spicy tomato or tomatillo sauce and cheese. The tortillas are simmered in the sauce to soften them slightly.
- Common garnishes include creme, queso fresco, onion, and avocado. Chilaquiles can also be served with chicken, beef, eggs, guacamole, and/or refried beans.
My favorite thing about this chilaquiles recipe is that it’s a great way to use up leftover carnitas and salsa verde from the week! I typically make carnitas at the beginning of the week and then use the leftovers for lunch or dinner over the next few days. Below I’m sharing an easy slow cooker carnitas recipe using FARMER JOHN California Natural® Bone-In Pork Shoulder Butt Roast that’ll make enough for dinner and then some! I typically head to Smart & Final about once a month to pick up our favorite bulk items and FARMER JOHN pork products. We like to use this carnitas in burritos, tacos, in quesadillas, and of course chilaquiles verdes.
You can’t have chilaquiles verdes without salsa verde! While the store-bought stuff is convenient, homemade salsa verde is SO easy you should really just make it yourself. The TABASCO® Sauce salsa verde recipe at the end of this post is fantastic! You can taste all the fresh flavors and the TABASCO® brand Green Pepper Sauce really comes through. It adds the perfect amount of heat and flavor to the salsa. Use half the salsa for this chilaquiles recipe and save the other half for munching with MISSION® Tortilla Chips!
Now that we have our carnitas and salsa, we’re ready to shake it up with Farmer John for breakfast! Traditionally you’d make your own tortilla chips for chilaquiles, but sometimes a girl just wants to get eating! Since I already pre-made the carnitas and salsa verde, using MISSION Tortilla Chips was the perfect option for me. We always have a bag of MISSION Tortilla Chips strips or triangles on top of our fridge so they were really handy.
How to make chilaquiles
- Heat salsa in a skillet with some oil until simmering.
- Add tortilla chips and stir to coat chips in salsa.
- Continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the chips begin to soften slightly.
- Remove from heat, top with cheese, and any other preferred toppings. Serve right away!
See how easy that is? I like to serve our chilaquiles with eggs at breakfast time. You can make your eggs fried or sunny-side up, but I highly recommend the runny yolks to mix in with everything. Then I added some sliced avocado, onion for a little bite, tomato for a fresh pop, lots of FARMER JOHN Carnitas, tons or queso fresco, and a few lime wedges for serving. You could even drizzle a little extra TABASCO® Sauce salsa verde over the top or serve it up in a bowl so everyone can add as much as they like.
Now that I’ve made you super hungry and have you set to make breakfast for dinner tonight, are you ready to WIN an amazing tailgating prize pack? During the Smart & Final FARMER JOHN Tailgate Sweepstakes, all you need to do is Shop, Text, Win!
Shop – Purchase any participating FARMER JOHN, MISSION, or TABASCO® Sauce product from your local Smart & Final for a chance to win a tailgate prize pack.
Text – Send the code that is printed on your receipt to be automatically entered.
Win – A tailgating prize pack! 5 winners will win a prize pack valued at over $625, 10 winners will win a prize pack valued at over $275, and 25 winners will win a $50 Smart & Final Gift Card.
You can learn more at Smart & Final. Sweepstakes open from August 29, 2018, to October 9, 2018.
What are your favorite Mexican dishes? Have a favorite way to use carnitas that everyone should know about? Leave me a comment below!
Hungry for More?
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Avocado Peach Salsa
- Overnight Dry Rub Ribs
- Spinach Dip Stuffed Pork Loin
Pork Chilaquiles Recipe
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup salsa verde (recipe below)
- 5 cups MISSION tortilla chips (about 1/2 bag)
- 2 cups carnitas shredded (recipe below)
- 1/2 beefsteak tomato diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 4 eggs cooked sunny-side up (optional)
- 3 tablespoons green onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup queso fresco crumbled (plus more to taste)
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 1 avocado sliced
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add salsa verde and bring to a simmer.
- Add tortilla chips to the skillet and stir until all the chips are coated in the salsa. Turn off the heat.
- Spread chips into an even layer and top with carnitas (add as much as you like), tomato, and red onion. Place eggs over the top of the chips in each quarter of the skillet.
- Top eggs and chilaquiles with green onion, queso fresco (I like a lot of this), and place the lime wedges next to each egg. Place 1/4 of the avocado with each egg. Serve immediately.
- Remove husks from tomatillos and rinse thoroughly. Place whole tomatillos, celery, onion, garlic, and chicken broth in a saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Turn tomatillos over halfway through cooking. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Transfer saucepan contents to a blender. Add cilantro, salt, and TABASCO® brand Green Pepper Sauce. Blend until smooth.
Crock Pot Carnitas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 1/2 pound FARMER JOHN® California Natural® Bone-In Pork Shoulder Butt Roast
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and smashed
- 12 ounces lager-style beer
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon TABASCO®brand Green Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest (about 1 lime)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Place oil in a large skillet and warm over medium heat. Place the pork shoulder in the skillet, once it's hot, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until a nice sear forms. Transfer the pork to a 5-quart crock pot.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the onion slices, garlic, beer, lime juice, TABASCO® brand Green Pepper Sauce, lime zest, chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, and cumin. Pour the marinade over the pork.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours. The pork should easily shred from the roast with a fork. (Cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours.)
- Transfer the pork to a cutting board or platter. Pull out the bone (you should be able to do this easily with your hands), and then use two forks to shred the pork. Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container in the fridge.