This post was originally published at Yellow Bliss Road where I am a contributor.
You are going to fall in love with these Grilled Shrimp Tacos! They’re a 15-minute meal that gets topped off with fresh mango salsa!
Ready for an easy meal win that you’ll want to cook all year long because it’s so freaking good? You better be, because today I’m busting out my favorite shrimp taco recipe for you.
Sure I get down on fried shrimp tacos with Baja sauce on the regular. But at home grilling is the way to go! So quick and easy you’ll be pounding tacos… and not just on Tuesday.
When the weather gets warm, my grill becomes my best friend. I love not turning on the oven and heating up my house. Better yet, I get all that amazing charred flavor on our dishes and who doesn’t love that?!
These Grilled Shrimp Tacos are my favorite quick and easy summer grilling recipe. They take about 10 minutes to prep the shrimp skewers and salsa and 5 minutes to cook the shrimp and tortillas. Then load up your taco shells and you’re in business. It’s all about the 15-minute meal this summer!
As much as I love Mexican food, going out to a restaurant can be pricey if you do it regularly. I’m completely guilty of ordering takeout or relishing in someone waiting on me for a change a few nights a week. However, when dinner is this easy I’m more inclined to cook at home.
Ingredients for Grilled Shrimp Tacos
- Medium-sized raw shrimp
- Vegetable oil
- Salt & pepper
- Dried oregano
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chili powder
- 6-inch flour tortillas (soft taco size)
Mango Salsa Ingredients
- Red onion
- Lime juice
- Salt & pepper
I really love the fresh pop of flavor the salsa adds to these tacos. It’s the perfect complement to the seasoned shrimp!
How to Make Shrimp Tacos
- Start off by preheating your grill to medium-high heat. You can also place a stovetop grilling pan over medium-high heat if you’re cooking indoors.
- Add all of your salsa ingredients to a medium mixing bowl and stir everything together. Then let the salsa hang out while preparing shrimp. If you can, make the salsa 10 minutes ahead of time to give the flavors a chance to marry.
- Once the salsa is ready, go ahead and peel and devein the raw shrimp. I recommend removing the tails so the tacos are easier to eat. Place the shrimp in a medium mixing bowl as you peel them.
- Next, mix together the oil and seasonings in a small mixing bowl and then pour the mixture all over the shrimp. Use a spoon to toss the shrimp until each one is coating in oil and seasonings.
- Now you’re ready to skewer the shrimp. Add as many shrimp as will easily fit on a metal skewer (usually 6-7) running the skewer from side to side (as shown). You could also use wooden skewers, just be sure to soak them in water before using them. (see note below)
- Place the shrimp skewers on your hot grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, flipping once. Cook the shrimp until they are pink all the way through. Use tongs to transfer the skewers to a plate for now. (The metal skewers get hot!)
- Now you’ll cook your tortillas on the grill. They’re SO much better when you cook them a little! Grill the tortillas on both sides until slightly charred and warm, about 30 seconds. (If your grill is big enough you can do this while the shrimp are cooking.)
- Once everything is cooked, take the shrimp off the skewers. Then fill the tortillas with shrimp and salsa. Serve your tacos immediately.
Please please please grill your tortillas for these shrimp tacos. They have a great flavor and taste a million times better than uncooked tortillas right out of the package. Also, if you prefer a corn tortilla you’re welcome to substitute, but I like the slightly crispy and soft texture of a flour tortilla for shrimp tacos.
I like to make the mango salsa for these shrimp tacos ahead of time and really let the flavors marry together for 2-3 hours. If you don’t have the time to wait, that’s okay too! It’s delicious right out of the bowl.
Then it’s onto the shrimp. If you’re using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for 30 minutes before grilling to keep them from burning to a crisp. To save yourself the trouble, get a set of these metal skewers for grilling and you’re set!
Need more tacos in your life?
Craving Mexican food something fierce?
- Slow Cooker Pork Tinga
- Queso Fundido con Chorizo
- Mango & Shrimp Quesadillas
- Baked Beef Taquitos
- Grilled Prok Tenderloin with Avocado Peach Salsa
- More dinner recipes
Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place shrimp in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, stir together oil and seasonings. Pour over shrimp and stir until coated.
- Skewer shrimp, about 6-7 per skewer depending on size. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side or until pink all the way through. Removed from grill to a platter.
- Place tortillas on the grill, working in batches, and grill for 30 seconds per side or until lightly browned and beginning to puff up a bit. Transfer to a plate.
- Place salsa ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix together until evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (see note)
- Assemble tacos by adding 4-5 shrimp to a tortilla and topping with salsa. You can sprinkle on a little freshly chopped cilantro too if you want. Serve immediately.
- I used 31/40 sized shrimp so I could make a good amount of tacos. You can go bigger if you like, but I wouldn’t use a smaller shrimp.
- If you want your salsa to be spicier, you can leave in the jalapeno seeds or even use the whole pepper.
- Sometimes I add a little extra lime juice to balance out the sweetness of the mangoes.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.