Bacon & Caramelized Onion Queso Fundido is like a gooey, cheesy bowl of everything that makes food awesome! Get ready to share, no one can resist this dip!
If you’ve never heard of chef Rick Bayless it’s time to pull your head out of your ass and start following him. He’s an American god of traditional Mexican cooking, and holy hell is his food good! Now I’ve never been to Frontera, but I’ve made more than a handful of chef Bayless’s recipes and I have yet to be disappointed. More than that. They’re all damn good. I will follow his food to the ends of the Earth. Yeah. It’s that level.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
I’ve had this queso on my must make dip recipes list for what feels like a million years. Seriously, what’s not to love? It’s full of everything I love. Cheese, onions, jalapenos, bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, and cilantro. YUMMM! With three m’s kids.
What is Queso Fundido?
- Queso Fundido is a thick sauce of melted cheese seasoned with chorizo and spices made in a skillet on the stove top, typically served hot with tortillas or tortilla chips.
I had high hopes for this dip and it’s firing on all cylinders. And that cilantro “garnish” on top is an integral flavor component of this dip that gives an amazingly fresh flavor that’s just not the same if you skip it. Do you hear me? Don’t skip the cilantro! But make this dip and try to tell me it’s not to die for. And if you do, we’re not friends anymore. Sorry.
Can’t get enough cheesy goodness in your life? These are some of my favorite cheese dip recipes!
- Beer Bacon and Cheese Dip Recipe
- Chili Cheese Dog Dip
- Hissy Fit Dip
- Crock Pot Spinach & Bacon Queso Dip
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Dip
- Queso Fundido con Chorizo
- Meat Lover’s Crock Pot Pizza Dip
- Mom’s Famous Hot Wing Dip Recipe
- Warm & Cheesy Crack Dip
- Garlic Bread Cheese Dip
- Easy Appetizers
- Tequila Jello Shots
- Easy Bake Beef Taquitos
Bacon & Caramelized Onion Queso Fundido
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 large jalapeno seeded, and finely diced (leave the seeds if you like your food spicy!)
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil drained and diced
- 3 tablespoons full-flavored beer I used Stella Artois
- 8 ounces Monterey jack cheese shredded
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro rough chopped
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon until crispy, turning once, until crispy. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Once cooled, crumble bacon; set aside.
- Pour all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from the skillet.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add onion. Stir onion in bacon fat until well coated. Cook onion for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring often, until onions have caramelized.
- Add jalapeno and sun dried tomato to skillet, and stir to combine. Add beer. Cook until beer has been completely absorbed by vegetables, stirring often.
- Add cheese to skillet, and decrease heat to medium-low. Stir in cheese until just melted. (If you over heat the cheese it will become tough and oily.) The queso will be a little stringy, in a good way.
- Transfer queso to a serving dish. Top with bacon and cilantro. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.