This simple, classic margarita recipe is the best margarita you’ll ever taste! Your only 5 minutes away from cocktail bliss!
A margarita is one of those amazing cocktails that are always good. You can have a standard, classic margarita or get creative with different flavor add-ins, like this pomegranate margarita. Then there’s the tequila. Pick your favorite, try a new one, and find the perfect combination for your palate.
This is The Best Margarita Recipe I’ve ever had. It’s the margarita Mike used to make for me back when we bartended together and it is perfection friends. Smooth, delicious, and the perfect sip of tequila. Salud!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
There’s something about a margarita that is just so inviting. Maybe it’s the punchy tequila, the tart sweet and sour mix, or that salt-rimmed glass. It doesn’t matter to me as long as you keep them coming. This classic recipe is incredibly easy to make. Just 3 ingredients, some ice, and a couple of garnishes create cocktail heaven.
Because this recipe is so simple the secret to a really great margarita is using quality ingredients.
Choose a good tequila. None of that bottom shelf stuff. A nice silver, gold, or reposado tequila all work great here. We usually use Jose Cuervo Platino or Milgaro Silver tequila.
Then it’s time for some orange liqueur. Triple sec is fine, but treat yourself and go next level with some Cointreau or Grand Mariner. The tequila/liqueur pairings go like this:
- Silver tequila + Cointreau
- Gold or reposado tequila + Grand Mariner
It’s about color matching to get the best flavor. Clear/silver spirits together and gold-colored spirits together.
Then there’s the sweet and sour mix. Please please please make your own. It is so easy you’ll wonder why you’ve never done it before.
While I prefer a homemade mix, you can totally use a store-bought margarita mix if you want. No judgment here friends. Tres Agaves Margarita Mix is fantastic! It may cost a couple of dollars more, but you’ll know where the money went once you take a sip of your margarita. The strawberry Tres Agaves is delicious too!
HOW TO MAKE A MARGARITA
- Cut a slit in a lime wedge and place it on the rim of a margarita or rocks glass. Run the lime around the rim of the glass to moisten it. Remove the lime and then dip the rim of your glass into some margarita salt spread out on a small plate. (Or you can use this handy glass rimming caddy.)
- After that, carefully fill the glass with ice.
Now you’re ready to mix the cocktail. Pour in the tequila and orange liqueur. Then fill the rest of the glass with sweet and sour mix or bottled margarita mix.
Garnish your margarita with a lime wedge and start sipping.
If you prefer your margaritas blended (frozen) instead of on the rocks, I’ve got you covered. The same idea applies here, but you need to make one batch of margaritas (double this recipe) at a time so everything blends properly.
More of my favorite cocktails
- Pina Colada Rum Punch
- Fish Bowl Cocktail
- Margarita Tequila Jello Shots
- Hurricane Party Punch Recipe
- More drink recipes
My favorite recipes to go with this margarita
- Chorizo Queso Fundido
- Easy Seasoned Chicken Tacos
- Mexican Pinwheels Recipe
- Slow Cooker Pork Tinga
- More Mexican food
The Best Margarita Recipe
- Cut a slit in a lime wedge and place on the rim of a margarita or rocks glass. Run the lime around the rim of the glass. Remove lime and dip rim in margarita salt. Carefully fill glass with ice.
- Pour in tequila, orange liqueur, and then fill the rest of the glass with sweet and sour or margarita mix (about 4 to 6 ounces).
- Garnish with a lime wedge. Serve immediately.
- I really love using Jose Cuervo Platino or Milagro Tequila for this recipe.
- If you prefer gold or reposado tequilas, I recommend Grand Mariner for your orange liqueur instead.
- You can totally use a store-bought margarita mix if you like. I like homemade sweet and sour better, but we've totally used pre-made bottles too. No judgment here. Tres Agaves Margarita mix is fantastic!