Have everyone running when you ring the dinner bell for these Crockpot Baked Beans! Smoky and delicious, these are a must-have at the BBQ!
Why We Love Crockpot Baked Beans
- After a small amount of prep and measuring, you can let the slow cooker do all the work!
- A little sweet, salty and smoky, these beans are everyone’s favorite side and compliments whatever you have on the grill.
- Since the beans are baked in a crock pot you are free to make everything else, without having to add any more items or check on them, so they’re the perfect dish for busy chefs.
- If you want to make these baked beans vegetarian, simply leave out the bacon and you will have a dynamite dish!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Baked Beans
BACON: You will need 1/2 pound of bacon for these beans. You can also use slab bacon or salt pork instead. Again, if you are making this vegetarian then you can skip this. Otherwise, bacon is definitely a must-have!
PRODUCE: One yellow onion is needed. Yellow is a great choice because it has a sweeter flavor but if you can’t find yellow then a white onion will work.
PANTRY ITEMS: Grab two cans of Bush’s Vegetarian Baked Beans (or your favorite variety), some light brown sugar, a can of Coke, molasses, Dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar.
SEASONINGS: You will need bay leaves, salt, and pepper.
How to Make Baked Beans in a CrockpotJump to Recipe
STEP 1 In a large skillet, cook the bacon and the onion. When the bacon is almost cooked through, add the bacon, onion, and drippings to a crock pot.
STEP 2 To the crock pot, add the beans, molasses, brown sugar, Coke, Dijon mustard, bay leaves, and apple cider vinegar.
STEP 3 Cook the beans on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or HIGH for 3.5 to 4 hours. Remove the bay leaves when the beans are done, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Tips & Tricks
- You can make these Baked Beans ahead of time in the crock pot and then reheat them in the crockpot when you’re almost ready to eat, which makes them perfect for potlucks or parties!
- This particular recipe is a little more on the sweet side so if you wish, you can add some jalapeno pepper for heat or reduce the amount of brown sugar to 1/3 cup.
- You can skip the Coke in this recipe or substitute Dr. Pepper or Root Beer.
- These Crockpot Baked Beans will keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You can reheat them on the stovetop or microwave.
Crockpot Baked Beans FAQ
How long do you cook baked beans in the crockpot?
When cooking baked beans in a crockpot, you want them to cook long enough for all of the flavors to develop and the sauce to thicken. If you want your beans done faster then cooking them on HIGH for 3.5 to 4 hours will work. Otherwise, 5 to 6 hours on LOW is perfect.
Since you’re using canned beans that have already been softened you run much less risk of overcooking your beans and ending up with a refried bean situation. We’ve all seen the pot of baked beans at the end of the cookout- it’s not always pretty but those beans are hearty and not falling apart!
What is the difference between Boston Baked Beans and Baked Beans?
Both Boston Baked Beans and Baked Beans are dishes made with beans in a thick, savory but sweet sauce.
- Traditionally, Boston Baked Beans are made very similar to baked beans, with the exception of using much more molasses and no other sweet items, like sugar or cola. The end result is a more caramelized sauce after many, many hours of cooking.
- Baked beans also use molasses, but a little less, and incorporate brown sugar and cola for a sauce that cooks faster. As a result, baked beans can be enjoyed much sooner than Boston Baked Beans can.
Other Recipes You May like
- Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
- Grilled Cajun Chicken Wings
- Southern Fried Corn
- Overnight Dry Rub Ribs
- 50 Recipes For the Grill
Crockpot Baked Beans
- ½ pound bacon chopped
- 1 small yellow onion peeled & diced
- 56 ounces Bush's vegetarian baked beans (2 cans)
- ⅓ cup molasses
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup Coca-Cola (see note)
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chopped bacon and yellow onion until the bacon is almost cooked. Remove from heat. Add the bacon, onions, and drippings to a slow cooker.
- Add the beans, molasses, brown sugar, Coke, Dijon, bay leaves, and vinegar to the slow cooker. Stir everything together.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat for 5 to 6 hours or HIGH heat for 3.5 to 4 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste before giving the beans on more stir.
- Coke can be omitted from this recipe or replaced with Dr Pepper or Root Beer.
- These beans are on the sweeter side, feel free to add in a diced jalapeno pepper or two to add some heat or reduce the light brown sugar to 1/3 cup.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave. You can also prepare the whole batch in advance of a party or potluck and reheat it in the crockpot.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Leave a Reply