Tangy and refreshing, this Creamy Coleslaw Recipe is the must-have, traditional potluck dish everyone loves to eat at every summer gathering!
Why We Love Creamy Coleslaw
- Creamy Coleslaw is a very easy-to-make side dish that can really feed a crowd so you can make as much or as little as you need.
- This recipe can be made before you start grilling so you don’t have to worry about trying to make all the dishes at once. The time in the fridge will also let the flavors come together so you have perfect coleslaw.
- Buying bagged, pre-chopped veggies makes assembling this coleslaw a total cinch. BONUS: everything is made in only two bowls, so cleanup is super simple!
- Homemade coleslaw is the ideal side to serve to cut through all of the heavier foods that are usually eaten at BBQs, like burgers and ribs. The light, refreshing taste is SO good on a hot afternoon making coleslaw the perfect complement to all of your favorite grilled foods!
What is coleslaw?
Essentially, coleslaw is a salad of raw cabbage mixed with mayo and other veggies.
VEGETABLES: This recipe calls for a bag of shredded green cabbage with carrots and a bag of shredded purple cabbage. If you can’t find a bag of each, you can purchase a combination bag of “coleslaw mix” that is around 19-20 ounces. (I usually get extra shredded carrots though. My family loves them!)
COLESLAW DRESSING: For the sweet and tangy dressing, you’ll need mayonnaise and apple cider vinegar along with some sugar, salt, and pepper.
How to Make ColeslawJump to Recipe
STEP 1 In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper together until it’s nice and smooth.
STEP 2 Toss the shredded green cabbage, carrots, and purple cabbage together in a large bowl until it’s all well mixed. Pour the coleslaw dressing over the cabbage.
STEP 3 Toss until everything is coated. You can serve this homemade coleslaw immediately, but if you have the time, let it chill for a bit in the fridge before serving.
Tips & Tricks
- Letting this coleslaw recipe sit in the fridge after it’s ready is a great way to let the flavors really come together. The coleslaw will still taste amazing if you serve it right away but giving it time to chill gives it that “cooling” quality we love.
- The longer the coleslaw sits, the softer the cabbage will become. So while you can make this up to three days ahead of time, know that the cabbage and carrots will not have that same fresh crunch, but will still taste dynamite.
- If after a few days of sitting you notice that your coleslaw has become a bit watery, simply pour off the excess liquid, add a bit more mayo, and stir.
- This coleslaw will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Because this recipe is mayonnaise-based, I do not recommend freezing the leftovers.
Creamy Coleslaw Recipe FAQ
How can I make my coleslaw better?
The key to making your coleslaw even better is to add more than just cabbage! A variety of fruits and vegetables can be added to coleslaws to take the flavor of coleslaw in new directions and you may find your personal favorite mix when experimenting! Try adding shredded goodies like apples, brussels sprouts, fennel, broccoli, or jicama to your coleslaw and find your ideal recipe.
Is Creamy Coleslaw Recipe Keto friendly?
Creamy Coleslaw dressing is a great keto dish because of the mayonnaise base. The mayo provides the healthy fats that keto followers are looking for, and the cabbage and carrots are low carb veggies. Altogether, this makes for a great dish to serve your friends and family who are following the keto diet.
Other Recipes You May like
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Antipasto Pasta Salad
- 7 Layer Salad Recipe
- Bacon and Avocado Pasta Salad
- Fresh Vegetable Salad
Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
- 14 ounces shredded green cabbage with carrots (1 bag)
- 6 ounces shredded purple cabbage (1 bag)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Toss the green cabbage, carrots, and purple cabbage together in a large bowl. (see note)
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage and toss until coated. Serve immediately or chill for up to 2 hours before serving.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.