BBQ Chicken Pizza is loaded with sweet and smoky flavors you’ll love! Who can resist tangy barbecue sauce, juicy chicken, and melty cheese?!
Why We Love Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza
- BBQ Chicken is one of my favorite pizzas, right up there with sausage and bell pepper. The combination of flavors is nothing short of fantastic!
- Homemade pizza is a great option when you don’t want to wait an hour for delivery from your local pizzeria. You can make the dough ahead of time or buy some to cut down on prep time.
- There are all kinds of yummy variations to this classic pizza too. Add some crumbled bacon, sliced mushrooms, or a little red pepper flake to spice things up. Any way you make it, this pizza is a 10/10 at our house.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Chicken BBQ Pizza
CHICKEN: You’ll need about 1 1/2 cups of shredded chicken for this pizza. You can either use one 8-ounce boneless skinless chicken breast or 1/2 of a rotisserie chicken (no skin).
PANTRY: Grab your favorite BBQ sauce and some olive oil. I like Sweet Baby Ray’s the best for this recipe.
REFRIGERATED: You’ll need enough pizza dough for a 12-inch pizza, Monterey Jack cheese, and sharp cheddar cheese. I highly recommend buying blocks of cheese a grating them yourself. The cheese melts the best that way, but pre-shredded bags are fine too.
Want to change up the cheeses? You can use all jack or all cheddar. Mozzarella and smoked gouda are great to add in or swap out for too. Sometimes I’ll use 1/2 cup of each three different kinds of cheese to change things up.
PRODUCE: Let’s add some color! Grab a red onion, a green onion, and some cilantro. If cilantro isn’t for you, leave it off and use only green onions or swap in parsley.
How to Make BBQ Chicken PizzaJump to Recipe
STEP 1 Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. In a small bowl, stir together the shredded chicken and half of the bbq sauce. Then set that aside for now.
STEP 2 Brush a 14-inch pizza pan with half of the olive oil. This will keep the pizza from sticking once it’s cooked. Place the pizza dough on the pan and use your hands to spread it out into a 12-inch circle. Brush the rest of the olive oil over the crust.
STEP 3 Spread the remaining bbq sauce over the crust, leaving a 1/2-inch board around the outer edge. Then spread the chicken around the top followed by the sliced red onions. Sprinkle cheese all over the toppings.
STEP 4 Bake for 12-15 minutes until the crust is golden and the cheese starts to brown.
STEP 5 Take the pizza out of the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes. Garnish the top with green onions and cilantro before cutting into 6 slices and serving warm.
Tips & Tricks
- To help save time on prep, you can premake your pizza dough the day before, or buy dough from your local pizzeria or at the grocery store.
- This pizza is a bit on the saucy side. If you don’t like as much sauce only use 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce instead.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat your pizza on a baking sheet in the oven, or in a dry skillet covered with a lid, until warmed through. This will keep the crust crisp and not soggy.
BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe FAQ
BBQ Chicken Pizza Calories
This pizza has 440 calories per slice when the pizza is cut into 6 slices. If you cut it into 8 slices that number goes down to 330 calories per slice.
For comparison here are the calories for a 12-inch BBQ chicken pizza at some of the national chains. We do use more sauce and I’m just going to guess more cheese, but homemade is SO good! Not to mention faster than delivery.
- Dominos – 410 calories per slice (5 slices)
- Pizza Hut – 260 calories per slice (8 slices)
- Papa John’s – 240 calories per slice (8 slices)
- California Pizza Kitchen – 190 calories per slice (6 slices)…no idea how, but that’s what their website says.
What toppings are on a BBQ chicken pizza at Domino’s?
The Domino’s Memphis BBQ Chicken Pizza has honey bbq sauce, chicken, onions, provolone, and a cheddar cheese blend on it.
What’s on a Pizza Hut barbecue chicken pizza?
The Pizza Hut Backyard BBQ Chicken Pizza is topped with chicken, mushrooms, onions, and mozzarella and is finished with a smoky bbq drizzle.
Other Recipes You May Like
- Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
- 5-Minute Skillet Tortilla Pizza
- Bacon Alfredo Pizza
- Pizza Bianca
- Caramelized Onion & Italian Sausage Pizza
- Taco Pizza
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 1 ½ cups cooked chicken shredded
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces pizza dough (store-bought or homemade)
- ¼ cup red onion thinly sliced
- ¾ cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- ¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 green onion thinly sliced, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons cilantro or parsley finely chopped, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cooked chicken and half of the bbq sauce. Set aside.
- Brush a 14-inch pizza pan with half of the olive oil. Place the pizza dough on the pan and spread it out into a 12-inch circle. (If you find the dough is shrinking back in on itself, you can let it rest for 10 minutes and then spread it out again.)
- Brush the remaining olive oil on top of the crust. Spread out the remaining bbq sauce over the crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the dough.
- Add the bbq chicken on top of the sauce and then spread around the sliced red onions. Sprinkle both kinds of cheese all over on top of the pizza.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the cheese starts to brown.
- Remove the pizza from the over and let it rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with the green onions and cilantro before butting into 6 slices and serving warm.
- This pizza is a little on the saucy side, which we prefer, but if you don’t like as much sauce, you can reduce it down to 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce.
- You can use all Monterey jack or sharp cheddar if you prefer. Mozzarella or smoked gouda would also be great options on this pizza.
- Use your favorite homemade or store-bought bbq sauce, we like Sweet Baby Ray’s for this recipe.
- Some other toppings that would be good to add to your pizza are crispy cooked bacon, red chili flakes on top, dried oregano on top, or shredded parmesan cheese.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat any leftovers in the oven or in a dry skillet covered with a top on the stove until warmed through. This will ensure the crust will stay crisp and not soggy.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.