This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Albertsons. All opinions are 100% mine.
When it comes to an easy meal, nothing beats a Skillet Tortilla Pizza! Ready in just 5-minutes and just begging to be smothered with your favorite toppings!
I love making homemade pizza. I used to buy canned pizza dough at the store, but then I switched to homemade pizza dough. It’s so much better!
The only downside is waiting for your dough to proof and partially bake. That takes time I don’t always have. Not to mention a hot oven during the summer? Bleh!
Enter this Skillet Tortilla Pizza. Crispy, bar-style pizza crust topped with whatever pizza toppings you crave and it’s ready in about 5 minutes. I make these pizzas for a weekend snack, an easy lunch, and the fastest dinner ever. Forget ordering out and treat yourself!
Now a really good pizza is about great ingredients. Since this recipe is so simple you want fresh veggies and herbs along with quality meats and cheeses. That’s why I turn to Primo Taglio® for our pizzas. I grab some prosciutto, provolone, and mozzarella during my Albertsons shopping trip and I’m ready to go!
My main reason for choosing Primo Taglio meats and cheeses to top our pizza if flavor. I want a bite of pizza that makes me weak in the knees! Primo Taglio means “first cut” in Italian, but for you and me it means every slice tastes just as delicious as the first. And boy does it!
Primo Taglio products contain zero MSG**, have no artificial flavor or colors, and are made with time-honored preparation methods that will have you tasting the difference! Their meats use whole muscle meat (no binder or fillers because who wants that?!) and their cheeses use the highest quality milk and are aged naturally up to two years.
When I’m shopping, I just pop over to the deli section and grab the pre-slice provolone cheese and prosciutto. (And Italian salami when I make antipasto pizza!) Then I head over to the gourmet cheese bunker for goat cheese, Parmesan, and fresh mozzarella. The fancy cheese area might be my favorite section of the grocery store… apart from the bacon section.
Ingredients for Tortilla Pizza
- 8-inch flour tortillas
- Olive Oil
- Pizza sauce or homemade tomato sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Provolone cheese
The size of your tortillas will depend on the size of your skillet. My family likes the 8-inch “soft taco” sized tortillas for a person pizza vibe. You can absolutely use the 10-inch burrito-sized tortillas if your pan is big enough.
I like using both mozzarella and provolone to really add layers of flavor to even the most basic pizza.
That’s the start of your basic skillet pizza, but everyone in my family likes a little something different on top. Here are our favorite pizza topping combinations.
White Pizza – skip the pizza sauce and top the entire tortilla with olive oil. Add Italian seasoning and a little garlic powder. Add fresh or shredded mozzarella and sliced provolone.
Pepperoni Pizza (because every kid loves this one!) – pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella, sliced provolone, and pepperoni slices.
Goat Cheese & Red Pepper Pizza – pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella, crumbled goat cheese, strips of roasted red peppers. Once the pizza is cooked, sprinkle on a little crushed red pepper flake or white pepper.
Prosciutto & Arugula Pizza – pizza sauce, fresh or shredded mozzarella, sliced provolone, and prosciutto. After the pizza cooks, add a handful of fresh arugula on top and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
The last two make me feel like we snuck out to our local wine back for date night!
How to Make Tortilla Pizza
- Start by placing a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat on your stovetop. Brush the inside of your skillet with olive oil. While the skillet heats up, preheat your oven’s broiler.
- Next, place a tortilla into the skillet and brush the outside edge with olive oil – about 1/2 inch to 1-inch. This will keep the tortilla from burning.
- After that, spread pizza sauce over the tortilla and top the sauce with mozzarella and provolone cheese.
- Then, add your choice of pizza toppings over the cheese.
- Place the skillet under your oven’s broiler for about 1 minute, just until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Carefully remove the skillet from your oven (potholders friends!). I use tongs while I’m holding the skillet to help pull the pizza out onto a cutting board.
- Now is the time to add any other toppings (fresh basil, arugula, peppers, etc.). Then you’re ready to cut the pizza into 4 or 6 slices. Serve it up right away and dig in!
If the bottom of to tortilla isn’t crispy enough for you once the pizza broils, stick it back on the stovetop until you have a crispy crust.
My kids love helping me make their pizzas. It’s a great way to teach them about cooking and make them want to eat their creations.
Their favorite (and mine) is eating al fresco. That’s “outside”, but it sounds all fancy and they feel like it’s restaurant night at home. I love not waiting an hour for delivery.
I shopped at Albertsons in my local area, but you can also find Primo Taglio products exclusively at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, Tom Thumb, and Vons.
So really there’s no excuse not to treat yourself to pizza night!
Gluten-free? Grab gluten-free tortillas!
Dairy-free? Goat cheese for days friends! You can totally skip the mozzarella.
Picky eater like my no sauce kid? Make some magic happen and let them choose their toppings. You’d be amazed at what they’ll eat if they decide for themselves.
I hope this tortilla pizza recipe inspires you to have a date night at home, a fun dinner with the family, or a really quick & easy midday munchie to satisfy those cravings!
Want more tasty pizza ideas?
- Bacon Alfredo Pizza
- Pizza Bianca
- Italian Sausage & Caramelized Onion Pizza
- Tostada Pizza
- Easy dinner ideas
5-Minute Skillet Tortilla Pizza
- 1 8-inch flour tortilla
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 1 slice Primo Taglio Provolone cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to broil on high. Place a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- One skillet is warm, brush with olive oil using a party brush. Place a tortilla in the skillet and brush the outer edge with oil too.
- Add pizza sauce to the center of the tortilla and use the back of a spoon to spread it over the tortilla. Leave the edges plain for the "crust". Break up provolone slice and place over sauce. Add mozzarella all over the pizza.
- Add any additional toppings over cheese - like pepperoni, prosciutto, red peppers, or goat cheese.
- At this point, the bottom of the tortilla should be crispy. You can use tongs to lift an edge up and check.
- Once the tortilla bottom is crispy, place the skillet under broiler and cook for 60 to 90 seconds. Just long enough to get the cheese bubbly and crispy up the edges of the tortilla.
- Carefully remove skillet from the oven. Use tongs to help transfer your pizza to a cutting board. Cut pizza into 4 or 6 slices and serve immediately.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.