Bacon Bourbon Apple Jello Shots are the best late summer party starter!
What goes better together than pig and apples? Not much! That was the inspiration for these unique jello shots. A little bacon, a little bourbon, some apple juice and you are in apple jello shot heaven! These babies are the perfect summer to fall transition shot.
If you’re thinking I’m weird for putting bacon on a jello shot, you my friend have not lived! This isn’t just your regular old crumbled bacon. This is sweet and salty, homemade candied bacon that’s freaking amazing with the vanilla and caramel notes in the bourbon. My friend Phil even said these were the best jello shots he’s ever had. Yeah.
See some more of the bacon goodness going on today for Bacon Month by checking out the links below, and if you’re feeling lucky hit up our Bacon Month Giveaway!
Need the right equipment?
- 2 strips bacon, cooked crispy and broken into large chunks
- 5 ounces good bourbon (I used Woodford Reserve)
- 1 tablespoon (1 envelope) unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ cup apple juice
- 12 two ounce plastic cups with lids
- 3 to 4 strips bacon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Place bacon chunks and bourbon in an air tight container, like a mason jar, and let sit for 3 hours on the counter. Remove bacon, recover container, and place in the fridge for 2 hours to solidify the fat from the bacon.
- Strain bourbon through a fine mesh sieve. Set aside.
- Place the 12 plastic cups in a baking pan.
- Pour the gelatin into a medium mixing bowl. Add cold water and stir to combine. Set sit until all the gelatin has been absorbed.
- Add boiling water, and whisk until gelatin has dissolved. Add brown sugar and whisk until dissolved.
- Pour in apple juice and bacon infused bourbon, stir to combine.
- Pour the apple juice mixture into the plastic cups, distributing it evenly, and filling until just about to the top.
- Place the baking dish in refrigerator for 6 hours, or until the jello has set.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar and cayenne. Pour onto a plate and spread into an even layer.
- Lay the bacon strips on top of the brown sugar, and press down to coat the bacon. Flip the strips over and repeat. You want a good coating of sugar. Lay the bacon on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 minutes, carefully flip the bacon over, and bake for another 5 minutes. (Watch the bacon so it doesn't burn!) Remove from the oven. Transfer the bacon to a plate coated in non-stick cooking spray and let rest until cool. Chop the bacon into tiny pieces (think bacon sprinkles).
- Pour about ½ teaspoon crumbled bacon on to each jello shot and spread into an even layer. Place a plastic lid on each cup and store in the fridge until ready to serve.