You can’t go wrong with a White Russian when you’re craving a cocktail. The combination of vodka, Kahlúa, and cream is perfection in a glass!
Why We Love a White Russian Cocktail
- A good White Russian isn’t complicated. It’s simple and delicious and that’s all you really need in a good cocktail.
- There are only 3 ingredients in this drink. They are things every home bartender should have on hand – vodka and Kahlúa and some cream. (Hello coffee drinkers!) That’s it friends. Okay, so you’ll need some ice too, but don’t worry about the whole cream and ice thing. It’s fine.
- White Russians are one of my go-to cocktails (especially around the holidays). Everyone likes ’em and if you want to serve a crowd, you can make a big batch and then just pour the mix over ice. Super easy.
- If it’s good enough for The Dude, it’s good enough for me. And don’t worry if you start calling it a Caucasian too, The Dude will abide.
White Russian Ingredients
VODKA: Choose a good-quality vodka for your cocktail. A bottle from the middle shelf or higher will work great. You don’t need a pricey vodka, just one that’s smooth and good for mixing.
KAHLUA: This is a coffee-flavored liqueur made with a rum base. You can make it at home, but grabbing a bottle at the store is much easier. There are cheaper brands, but I think Kahlúa has the best flavor.
HEAVY CREAM: To make a White Russian drink you have to add a splash of heavy cream. It makes this cocktail rich and creamy in your mouth. (Yep, I said it.)
How to Make a White RussianJump to Recipe
STEP 1 Fill a rocks glass with ice and then pour in the vodka and Kahlúa.
STEP 2 Pour the heavy cream on top of the cocktail. (Layers are pretty and the swirl looks cool.) You can serve it up as is or give the ingredients a stir before serving.
Tips & Tricks
- Forgot to buy heavy cream at the store? Don’t worry. You can substitute half-n-half if needed. This is also an excellent way to cut down on the calories in this drink.
- Turn your White Russian into a Colorado Bulldog by adding a splash of Coke to the glass after you’ve added the cream.
- If you want to play around with your cocktail, try swapping some flavored vodka. I recommend whipped, vanilla, caramel, or cinnamon roll flavors.
White Russian Recipe FAQ
What is the difference between a White Russian and Black Russian?
A Black Russian is made with vodka and Kahlúa over ice. A White Russian has a splash of cream added in. That’s the difference.
Is a White Russian a strong drink?
I wouldn’t say a White Russian is strong. It has as much alcohol as a long pour does. There are 2 ounces of vodka (80 proof) and 1 ounce of Kahlúa (40 proof) in this drink, but it’s super smooth and tasty.
Other Recipes You May like
- Fill a rocks glass with ice.
- Pour in the vodka, Kahlúa, and heavy cream. Serve as is or stir before serving.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.