A classic breakfast dish bursting with citrus flavor, this Orange Ricotta Dutch Baby Recipe is a toothsome dish that’ll leave everyone asking for seconds!
Living in Arizona with citrus for days, it’s hard to resist the urge to make orange, lemon, lime, and grapefruit studded recipes. But today I’m giving in and making one of my favorite breakfast recipes! A classic Dutch baby is light and fluffy. It poofs up in the oven while baking and then settles once removed from the oven. This Orange Ricotta Dutch Baby is a bit denser. The ricotta cheese thickens up the dutch baby batter once baked, and is a big winner at my house!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
How to Make a Dutch Baby
- Preheat your oven. Place a baking dish or cast iron skillet in the oven to get nice and hot. Add the butter and allow it to melt in the hot pan in the oven.
- Mix up the batter. You can use the traditional ingredients for a thinner fluffy pancake or add in other flavors like ricotta, orange, lemon or chocolate.
- Pour the batter into the hot pan and bake. The side will become golden and the pancake will poof up.
- Carefully remove from the oven. Top with powdered sugar and serve with lemon or orange slices.
Super simple to make and oh my goodness so good! This dutch baby pancake is great for serving a crowd too. I usually make this recipe in a 9-inch x 9-inch baking dish, but you could double the recipe and cook it up in a 9-inch x 13-inch dish. My aunt did this for breakfast when she was visiting and it worked out great!
When it comes to topping a dutch baby, I’m a powdered sugar with a side of lemon wedges girl, but my whole family loved the orange flavor in this Orange Ricotta Dutch Baby. There was a burst of orange flavor in every bight from the zest in the batter. I did squeeze a little extra orange juice over top though, old habits die hard. Even my picky face boys grabbed a fork and dove in when they saw the “sugar snow” on top of this easy dutch baby recipe.
Hungry for More?
Orange Ricotta Dutch Baby Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Once heated, place a 9-inch by 9-inch glass baking dish in the oven for 10 minutes.
- While the dish heats, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, ricotta, eggs, vanilla, and zest until smooth. There should be no large chunks of the cheese left.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven. Add the butter to the dish and let it melt completely. Pour the batter into the hot dish and return it to the oven.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the dutch baby has puffed up, the center is set and is golden & crispy around the edges.
- Remove from the oven. Dust generously with powdered sugar. Place a twisted orange wheel in the center of each serving, if desired. Serve warm.