My Dad’s Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Coffee Cake recipe is the best breakfast treat! It’s easy to make, tastes amazing, and perfect for when you have company in town!
It’s been a long day, and it’s only 6am. Eddie woke up about 3:30am with a major fever and he couldn’t get back to sleep. So I’ve been up hanging out with him. Since he likes to bake, we made breakfast for everyone. I’ve had this Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Coffee Cake recipe for I don’t even know how long. I remember being about 8 or 9 years old and going with my dad to his friend’s house. The guy’s wife made us the most wonderful coffee cake, and I had to have the recipe.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
While this recipe isn’t one I learned from my dad, it came into my life because of him and we made it for years and years after that first bite. I really think coffee cake is one of those perfect comfort foods. I like to have some with a big cup of coffee or tea in the morning. If you want to get really fancy, you can top your slice with some cinnamon whipped cream. The cake itself is light and fluffy, with a sweet sugar crust on top. This cinnamon coffee cake is seriously breakfast heaven!
Cinnamon is my favorite holiday spice. This month for feast & devour we’re showing you all our favorite ways to bake with cinnamon! Your house is going to smell AMAZING!!
- Dad’s Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Coffee Cake from Bread Booze Bacon
- The Best Cinnamon Rolls from Cooking with Curls
- Cinnamon Apple Crescent Braid from The Two Bite Club
- Easy Apple Cinnamon Turnovers from It Bakes Me Happy
Hungry for More?
Dad's Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together ½ cup melted butter, sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and milk. Mix to combine. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the coffee cake. Cut remaining ½ cup butter into small pieces. Place the butter pieces all over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The cake should be set and a crust will have formed on the top. Carefully remove coffee cake from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Made it and loved it, however where is the coffee in the recipe. Would love to make it again. thanks!
Julie Espy says
Hi Anna! Coffee Cake is a breakfast treat to be eaten alongside your coffee. While it can be flavored with coffee as well, this recipe doesn’t go that route. I’m glad you enjoyed the cake!!
Beena Abraham says
Fabulous cake! Loved it.