Kauai Pie Ice Cream is a tropical treat straight from the islands! Coffee ice cream is loaded with coconut, chocolate & macadamia nuts for a taste of paradise!
I have this obsession with ice cream. It’s my favorite way to cool down during the summer and it’s my family’s go-to dessert any night of the week. My boys especially love when I make them rainbow ice cream, but today’s ice cream recipe is always a hit with the adults. If you have ever been to Hawaii then you may have heard of Lappert’s Ice Cream. They are famous on the islands and visitors flock to their shops. I was recently there with my husband and we went to Lappert’s three times in one week! One of the specialty flavors that they always have in the ice cream case is their Kauai Pie Ice Cream. It is Kona coffee ice cream overflowing with coconut flakes, macadamia nuts, and chocolate fudge swirls. Are you drooling yet? You can probably guess why it is the flavor that they are most known for creating.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
Well, we are back in the continental US and I have been craving Kauai Pie ice cream. I may not live in Hawaii but I do have access to the ingredients that I need to make it myself. The best part is that I am able to use real, whole ingredients and no refined sugar…music to my ears!
If you have ever gone about making your own homemade ice cream then you may know that creating the custard base is somewhat time-consuming and a bit technical. I know so many people that buy ice cream makers and then only use it once because they realize how much effort it takes for a little ice cream. Fortunately, I like to make things easy – and healthy! This ice cream is so easy to make and most of the work is done in your blender.
I was able to create a smooth and creamy texture all while not using dairy or eggs so this recipe is totally vegan. But I promise that you do not need to be vegan to enjoy this ice cream. It tastes like Hawaii! If you can’t get enough frozen treats during the hot summer months, be sure to try my No Churn Peach Cobbler Ice Cream and 4-Ingredient Coconut Vanilla Popsicles!
Hungry for More?
Kauai Pie Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 14 ounces full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (good-quality)
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or chunks)
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- Place ice cream machine bowl in the freezer to get cold while you prep the cashews. Place back in the machine before proceeding to step 3.
- In a medium-size bowl, soak the raw cashews in the can of coconut milk for at least 1 hour (up to overnight).
- To a blender, add the bowl of cashews and coconut milk, maple syrup, and espresso powder. Blend until well combined and smooth, about 3-5 minutes. (Be sure to run the blender that long to really ensure a good texture after blending.)
- Pour the ice cream base into the frozen ice cream machine bowl, while the machine is running. Run the ice cream maker until the ice cream is almost completely finished. (My machine takes about 20-30 minutes.)
- While the machine is still running add in the coconut, chocolate, and macadamia nuts. Continue running the ice cream maker until the add-ins have just been incorporated into the ice cream.
- Serve immediately or transfer to your desired freezer safe container with a lid. Keep in the freezer for up to one week. Allow ice cream to sit out for a few minutes before scooping.