This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Shamrock Farms. The opinions and text are all mine.
Get dinner on the table in a hurry with Creamy Baked Chicken Flautas! Cheesy chicken filling is loaded with Mexican spices for a family dinner favorite!
Creamy Baked Chicken Flautas are a 20-minute dinner win! Grab a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store on your way home from work or use leftover chicken breasts from the night before to cut down on prep time. These easy flautas fly off the plate and are great reheated the next day for a quick back to school lunch option! Mexican food is always a win at my house and these flautas are no exception.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
The best part of this chicken flautas recipe is the Shamrock Farms Sour Cream. I’m not even kidding. Sour cream is my favorite condiment for just about anything. I’m also pretty snobby about what brand I’ll buy. While Shamrock Farm sour cream may have a new look, it’s still the same great tangy, creamy taste I love. Which is to be expected when this sour cream stars with the best milk locally sourced from their own family farm. I love mixing Shamrock Farm sour cream into dips and to make my favorite recipes creamier, like these baked chicken flautas. One taste, and you’ll be on the lookout for the green-topped tub in your dairy case too!
Oh! If you want to try something super munchy and snack favorite passed down from my dad, grab a tub of Shamrock Farm Cottage Cheese while you’re picking up the sour cream. Dip some corn chips in the cottage cheese and getting ready to go weak in the knees. It’s AMAZING! When the mood strikes, nothing else will satisfy that craving for me.
How to Make Chicken Flautas
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
Add diced chicken (or shredded chicken), cream cheese, Shamrock Farms sour cream (traditional, light, or organic), cheddar, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder to a large mixing bowl. Stir together until completely combined. You don’t want any big chunks of sour cream. Everything should be evenly mixed.
Add 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture in a line down the center of a tortilla. rolled the tortilla around the filling in a log shape. Place on your prepared baking sheet seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas until all the filling has been used.
Optional: Brush the tops of the flautas with a little vegetable oil. This will help them brown and get extra crispy. You can also hit them with a little nonstick cooking spray and get the same result.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Turn oven to broil on LOW and cook until tops of flautas are browned and crispy. Watch the flautas, you don’t want them to burn. Remove from oven.
Serve warm. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
I like to serve up bowls of sour cream, salsa, and guacamole to dip these easy chicken flautas. Everyone can pick and choose their dip combos and mix things up. My whole family loves ’em.
What’s the difference between flautas and taquitos?
Most Americans used these terms interchangeably for a rolled taco that’s either baked or deep-fried. There are couple of distinctions though.
- Taquitos are usually made is corn tortillas, are smaller in size (AKA less filling inside), and tend to be served as an appetizer. Taquitos are commonly fried in hot oil instead of baked.
- Flautas are commonly made with bigger flour tortillas (burrito-size even!) and can be served as part of the main meal.
Bake chicken flautas definitely have fewer calories than their fried cousin. You can also choose whole-grain torillas, low-fat cream cheese, and light Shamrock Farms sour cream to get the calorie count down on these flautas.
How do you keep flour tortillas from breaking?
Place your tortillas on a plate between two damp paper towels. Microwave for 20 seconds to steam the tortillas and make them more flexible.
For more news and updates about Shamrock Farms, visit Shamrock Farms and follow facebook.com/shamrockfarms and @shamrockfarmsmilk
Other great recipes using Shamrock Farms dairy!
My family’s favorite easy dinners!
- Skillet Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole
- Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Caramelized Onion & Italian Sausage Pizza
- Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe
- Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole
- More dinner recipes…
Creamy Baked Chicken Flautas
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast diced (2 breasts)
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup Shamrock Farms sour cream
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 6-inch tortillas (fajita size)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- Add chicken, cream cheese, Shamrock Farms sour cream, cheddar, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder to a large mixing bowl. Stir together until completely combined. You don't want any big chunks of sour cream. Everything should be evenly mixed.
- Add 2 tablespoons chicken filling in a line down the center of a tortilla. rolled the tortilla around the filling in a log shape. Place on your prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas until all the filling has been used.
- Optional: Brush the tops of the flautas with a little vegetable oil. This will help them brown and get extra crispy.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Turn oven to broil on LOW and cook until tops of flautas are browned and crispy
. Remove from oven.
- Serve warm with more sour cream, guacamole, and salsa for dipping.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
- Optional garnishes: diced tomato and crema sauce
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Comments submitted may be displayed on other websites owned by the sponsoring brand.
Kylee from Kylee Cooks says
Flautas are a big win in my family too! These look amazing, Julie. Love the Shamrock Farms products, so good!!
Leigh Ann Johnston says
Creamy Baked Chicken Flautas were outstanding! The whole family loved them and have requested them again. Thanks for sharing! – Leigh Ann