Craving apple pie but not ready to put in the work? These incredibly simple Air Fryer Apple Pie Bites are sure to satisfy your taste buds!
Why We Love Apple Pie Bites with Pie Crust
- When a dessert craving hits I don’t want to wait over an hour for a cake or pie to bake and cool. These air fryer apple bites only take 20 minutes, start to finish!
- Who doesn’t love apple pie? It’s a classic American dish that’s so good with all the baking spices, brown sugar, and flaky pie crust.
- This recipe is a great one to make with younger cooks. They can do all the prep and you can take the bites in and out of the air fryer, or let them do it all with some tongs.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Mini Apple Pie Bites
APPLES: I use Pink Lady apples for this recipe since they’re slightly tart. If you can’t find Pink Lady apples, Granny Smith or Honeycrisp would be good options as well.
PIE CRUST: We’re keeping it simple with pre-made refrigerated pie crust, but if you want to make a homemade pie crust you totally can. Whatever works for you.
SEASONINGS: To give that apple pie flavor, you’re going to use a combination of melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and some chopped walnuts.
How to Make Apple Pie Bites in an Air FryerJump to Recipe
STEP 1 Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F. Then mix the walnut, brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon nutmeg, and cardamom in a medium bowl. Stir in the apple slices until they’re coated.
STEP 2 Unwrap the pie crust and cut it into a 10-inch x 8-inch rectangle. Then cut it into 8 strips (10×1 inch each). Place an apple at the end of each strip and then roll it up until it’s wrapped up like a mummy.
STEP 3 Brush the top of each apple bite with some milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or plain cinnamon. Pop the bites into the air fryer basket, making sure they aren’t too crowded.
STEP 4 Cook the bites in your air fryer for 8-10 minutes until the crust is golden and the sides are bubbling. Serve warm as is or with some vanilla ice cream.
Tips & Tricks
- If you’re not a fan of walnuts, feel free to use almonds or pecans instead, or you can skip the nuts altogether.
- You can also use crescent roll dough instead of pie crust. Place the apple slice at the wide end of the triangle and wrap it up.
- If you have apple pie spice on hand, you can swap out 3/4 teaspoon of that for the spices in the brown sugar mixture.
- You can make these apple pie bites in the oven too. Just preheat to 350 degrees F, line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper, and bake as directed.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for a crowd. These bites are also delicious when served with some vanilla ice cream or a little melted cheddar cheese on top.
Apple Pie Bites FAQ
Should you bake an apple before putting it in a pie?
No, you don’t need to… even for these apple pie bites. If you pre-cook the apples, they will get really mushy (like applesauce) and that’s what you want. The apples should be tender but still have some bite.
Can you prepare apples ahead of time for pie?
You can. You can pre-slice or chop them and toss the apples in a little lemon juice to keep them from browning. Then chill them in the fridge for up to 1 day.
Other Recipes You May Like
Air Fryer Apple Pie Bites
- ¼ cup walnuts finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons salt butter melted (see note)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar packed
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom or ground ginger
- 1 pink lady apple cored, peeled, and cut into 8 slices
- 1 9-inch refrigerated pie crust
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the walnuts, melted butter, brown sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom until well combined.
- Add the apple slices to the brown sugar mixture and stir until the apples are thoroughly coated.
- Unwrap the pie crust and spread it out on a cutting board or work surface. With a knife or pizza cutter, trim the edges to create a rectangle that’s roughly 10 inches x 8 inches. Cut the dough into 8 even strips (10 inches long x 1 inch wide).
- Place an apple slice at the end of each strip. Then starting the end with the apple slice, roll up the pie crust strip around the apple until it's wrapped up like a mummy. Pinch the end of the dough strip to the dough wrapped around the apple to seal it.
- Brush the milk onto the top of each apple pie bite and then sprinkle with some cinnamon sugar. (1 tsp sugar + 1/4 tsp cinnamon)
- Bake in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until the pastries start to brown on the top and the sides are bubbly. Serve warm.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.