Pancake Mix Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins are portable pops of sweet chocolate goodness that are easy to make and easy to take anywhere you go!
Why We Love Muffins with Pancake Mix
- Everyone loves pancakes and chocolate chips and putting them together is a no-brainer, but making them pop-able is a stroke of genius! You’ll never have to leave home without your chocolate chip pancakes again.
- This recipe makes a good number of mini chocolate chip muffins so they’re easy to share or you can stash them for later.
- The pancake mix acts like a shortcut so you have a little less to do and these delicious muffins are ready a little faster. This is also a great recipe to get beginner cooks and kids comfortable in the kitchen.
- You can also make full-sized muffins with this recipe and still have enough to share with friends and family!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Chocolate Chip Pancake Mix Muffins
PANTRY ITEMS: For this recipe, you will need to pick up a pancake mix that only requires water. These mixes are typically labeled as “complete” and will state to “just add water”. You will also need vegetable oil, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, and mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
REFRIGERATED ITEMS: Whole milk and a few eggs are needed for this recipe. Set them out ahead of time to come to room temperature for easier mixing.
How to Make Mini Chocolate Chip MuffinsJump to Recipe
STEP 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and coat a mini muffin tin well with non-stick spray. Using a large bowl, stir together the pancake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, milk, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract. Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
STEP 2 Fill each muffin well halfway with the batter, using a measuring spoon or a cookie scoop. (Do not overfill.) Then top each cup with a few more chocolate chips.
STEP 3 Bake the muffins for 12-14 minutes or until the tops are golden. Remove and allow the muffins to cool before enjoying them.
Tips & Tricks
- Complete pancake mix has leavening agents already mixed in, like baking soda and baking powder, which is why it only requires water.
- You can use mini muffin tin liners but the top edges of the liners tend to stick and will need to be cut away. Using non-stick spray was easier and prevented any sticking issues.
- You can store these muffins in an air-tight container on the counter for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Place a paper towel under the muffins to absorb any moisture. You can also store them in a freezer bag and freeze them for 3 months.
- To make regular-sized muffins: Spray a regular-sized muffin tin with non-stick spray or line it with muffin liners. Fill each well 2/3rds full and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until golden brown. This version should make around 16 muffins.
Mini Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe FAQ
Is pancake mix the same as muffin mix?
Pancake and muffin mixes are different and you can easily taste the difference between pancakes and muffins in a few ways. First, muffins are heavier and closer to cake in texture than pancakes. Pancakes, on the other hand, are light and fluffy, which is why you often feel like you could eat that giant stack at the pancake house! Muffins are also often much sweeter than pancakes, which is why we put syrup or other sweet additions on pancakes.
That’s what makes these mini chocolate chip muffins so fun. They’re shaped like muffins but are portable, pop-able pancakes that you can snack on whenever you want!
Why do my chocolate chips burn in pancakes?
Whether you are making pancakes or muffins, heat is a major factor in how your food will turn out. For this recipe, the muffins cook at 350 degrees F, and while many other muffin recipes may suggest 400 degrees F, that was too hot for these muffins.
If you know your oven runs hot then lower the temperature and keep a close eye on your muffins to prevent burning the chocolate chips. The same is true for pancakes, you should lower the temp on the stove to prevent burning the chips.
Other Recipes You May like
- Blueberry Streusel Muffin Recipe
- Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding
- Lemon Ricotta Fritters
- Cinnamon Sugar Muffins
- Bacon Pancakes
Pancake Mix Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the cups of a mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and then set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the pancake mix, milk, oil, eggs, sugar, and vanilla. (Be careful not to overmix.) Fold in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips.
- Portion the batter into the prepared muffin tin filling each up 1/2 way full. Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on too of each cup.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the edges and tops are browned. Remove from the oven and cool to the touch before removing the muffins from the pan. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Freshly baked muffins will last 1-2 days stored in an air-tight container on the counter or for up to 1 week in the fridge. Place a paper towel on the bottom of the container. This helps with absorption and keeps the muffins from getting soggy.
- Once cooled, these muffins may be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight freezer bag.
- To make regular-size muffins: Line a regular muffin tin with paper liners or with non-stick spray. Fill each muffin cup about 2/3rds full. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the tops are brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean. You should get around 16 muffins.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.