This post first appeared on Real Housemoms where I am a contributor.
Easy to make Dorito Chicken Casserole layers creamy chicken and tex-mex veggies with nacho cheese Doritos for dinner everyone devours!
Why We Love Dorito Casserole
- This recipe gets rave reviews at the dinner table. It’s packed with flavor and even has some beans and veggies to round out the meal.
- What kid doesn’t love hearing their favorite chip is a part of dinner?!
- This recipe is really easy to make. You can prep and sautee the veggies while the oven preheats. Then by the time your oven is ready to go, the casserole will be layered and ready to bake!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Cheesy Chicken Dorito Casserole
TACO SEASONING: You can use homemade or store-bought taco seasoning for this casserole. If using homemade, you’ll need 2 tablespoons to equal 1 packet.
DORITOS: Grab a party-size bag of nacho cheese Doritos. If you can’t find party-size, you can get two standard (9.25 ounce) bags instead and use 1 1/2 bags for the casserole.
CHICKEN: I used one whole store-bought rotisserie chicken with the skin removed. You could also use 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts that you cooked ahead of time. Either way, you’ll need about 3 cups of chicken total.
FILLING: So many great flavors here! We’re going to mix up sour cream, cream of chicken soup, shredded cheese, corn, black beans, Rotel tomatoes, green chiles, and some sauteed onions and garlic. Yum!
How to Make Dorito CasseroleJump to Recipe
STEP 1 Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Next, place a skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and once melted, cook the onions and cook until they’re softened. Then, add garlic and cook for 1 minute, and then set all that aside. Now you’ll want to grab a large mixing bowl and put in the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, 1 cup of cheese, and taco seasoning. Give it all a good stir to combine.
STEP 2 Add the chopped chicken, Rotel tomatoes, green chiles, black beans, corn, onions, and garlic to the bowl. Stir until all the chicken is evenly coated.
STEP 3 Smash up the Doritos. (This is my son’s favorite part to help with.) Leave the Doritos in the bag and use your hands to crush them up a bit. You don’t want tiny crumbs, just medium-sized pieces. No chip dust here. Spread about half of the crushed Dorito chips in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Spoon your chicken meat mixture over the chips and spread it into an even layer. Make sure you don’t just dump it from the bowl or the chips may get pushed out of the way. Pop that Dorito casserole right into your preheated oven and bake it for 20 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven.
Step 4 Top it with the remaining Doritos in an even layer and then sprinkle cheese on top. You can use as much or as little as you like – for me, the more cheese the better… but to each his or her own! Return the casserole to the oven and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the cheese is melty and irresistible looking. For the finishing touch, sprinkle the casserole with chopped parsley or cilantro. Cut into 6 portions and serve warm
Tips & Tricks
- If you like a little kick, you can use hot green chiles instead of mild, add some red pepper flakes, diced jalapenos, or even a tablespoon or two of hot sauce to the filling.
- Sometimes I’ll make a double batch of taco seasoned chicken one night for tacos and save the leftovers for this casserole. Then I add 1/2 of a taco seasoning packet instead of an entire packet.
Dorito Chicken Casserole FAQ
How do you make Dorito casserole with beef?
If you want to swap the chicken for beef, grab 1 pound of lean ground beef. Cook the beef in a skillet over medium heat until it’s browned and completely cooked through. Be sure to break up the meat as it cooks. Then drain any grease from the pan and add it to the mixing bowl instead of the cooked chicken.
Can I use a different flavor of Doritos?
Heck yes, you can! If you like spice try swapping out for spicy nacho Doritos. (However, I wouldn’t use the flamin’ hot Doritos. That’s A LOT of heat.) I’ve ever seen cool ranch Doritos used. They pair well with the Tex-Mex flavors of this casserole. So feel free to be adventurous!
Other Recipes You May like
- Chicken Glorioso Pasta Bake
- Skillet Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole
- Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Chicken & Cornbread Casserole
Dorito Chicken Casserole
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced
- 10.5 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups Colby jack cheese shredded
- 1 packet taco seasoning (2 TBSP homemade)
- 3 cups cooked chicken chopped or shredded
- 10 ounces Rotel tomatoes
- 4 ounces green chiles
- 15 ounces canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces canned corn drained
- 14.5 ounces nacho cheese Doritos (1 party-size bag)
- Fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Once melted, add in the onions and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute before removing from the heat.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, 1 cup of shredded cheese, and the taco seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Add the chopped chicken, Rotel tomatoes, green chiles, black beans, corn, onions, and garlic to the mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Leave the Doritos in a bag and use your hands to crush them up a bit. You want medium-sized pieces, not tiny crumbs. Spread out half of the crushed Doritos in the bottom of a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish.
- Spoon the chicken mixture over the chips and spread into an even layer. (Don’t just dump the bowl onto the chips or it'll push the chips out to the sides.)
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven. Top with the remaining Doritos and sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the chips.
- Return the casserole to the oven and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with some chopped parsley. Divide into 6 portions and serve warm. We like to add a dollop of sour cream on top too.
- I used one whole store-bought rotisserie chicken with the skin removed. You could also use 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts that you cooked ahead of time. You’ll need about 3 cups of chicken total.
- To make beefy Dorito casserole, cook 1 pound of lean ground beef until browned and cooked through. (Be sure to break up the meat as it cooks.) Drain any excess grease and add it to the recipe instead of the cooked chicken.