Crock Pot Chicken Queso Dip is a cheese lover’s dream! Savory spices, green chiles, and chicken make this creamy, cheesy dip one for the recipe book!
How do I even begin to explain how much I love this chicken queso dip? I’ve always loved queso. Whether it had Rotel tomatoes, chili, or just cheesy goodness, I need all the queso dip in my life.
Then one day I wanted a green chile enchilada chicken dip. Sounds amazing, right? I knew all those flavors would be perfect with queso, and that’s how this dip was born.
I threw all the ingredients in a crock pot ( because it was summer and I leave the oven off as much as possible), and then a couple of hours later we had a dip to die for.
Seriously, I would be 100% willing to hoard all of this chicken queso dip for myself and not think twice about sharing. Mike’s just lucky I like him so much and will let him have some too.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
What is queso?
Queso is a Mexican-inspired melted cheese dip or sauce that stems from the Spanish word for cheese.
What is queso dip made of?
Queso usually starts off with white cheese, whole milk or half-and-half, and red or green salsa.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this green chile chicken queso:
- Velveeta – acts just like American cheese and keeps the dip nice and smooth
- Cream Cheese – adds a tangy kick and akes your dip so creamy
- Cheddar Cheese – so much cheesy flavor!
- Chili Powder – adds heat and spice
- Ground Cumin – traditional Mexican spice to add depth of flavor
- Garlic Powder – everything needs garlic!
- Onion Powder – get onion flavor in every bit without chunks of onion taking over
- Cooked Chicken Breasts – cook ahead of time or grab a rotisserie chicken from the store to cut down on prep time
- Mild Green Chiles – if you want a spicier dip, use the hot green chiles
How to Make Chicken Queso Dip
This recipe is ridiculously easy to make! I like to prepare this queso in a 1.5-quart crock pot, but you could microwave it or even bake it if you prefer.
- Start by mixing the cubed Velveeta, cubed cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, spices, chicken, and green chiles to a large bowl. (You can mix in your crock pot if you prefer, but this is easier for me.)
- Next, transfer the dip mixture to a crock pot and cover.
- Turn your crock pot to either LOW or HIGH heat and cook until the cheeses are melted and the dip is smooth. You’ll want to stir the dip once or twice while it’s cooking.
- From here you can transfer the dip to a serving bowl, or turn the crock pot to WARM and recover the dip. Then just give it another stir before serving.
You can easily double this recipe and make in a 5-quart crock pot if you want extra dip for later or you have a large group to feed.
Stir all the ingredients in a large bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes. Take the bowl out and stir everything together. Microwave again for 1 minute, and then stir. Repeat as needed until the cheeses are melted and the dip is smooth.
Cut down your Velveeta and cream cheese into 1/4-inch cubes. Stir all the ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer the dip mixture to a 9-inch x 9-inch baking dip and spread into an even layer. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The dip will be bubbling and the top will be golden.
It’s crazy how good this dip is, especially when it takes practically no effort to make. We love dipping tortilla chips in our chicken queso dip but could use Wheat thins or any sturdy cracker you like as well.
I’ve even been known to use this dip in place of cheese on nachos. Just add your toppings – diced tomato, jalapenos, avocado, whatever you like – and you’re set. It’s a tasty way to use up leftover dip! I love making sheet pan nachos for game day when we have friends over.
There are so many yummy ways to enjoy this green chile chicken queso dip!! Try it ASAP. You’ll be glad you did!
These dip recipes are always in demand at my house!
Crock Pot Chicken Queso Dip
- Add the Velveeta, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cooked chicken, and green chiles to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Transfer the dip mixture to a 1.5-quart crock pot.
- Add cooked chicken and green chiles and mix once more.
- Turn your crock pot to WARM until your ready to serve. We like this dip with tortilla chips.
- Microwave Instructions: Stir all the ingredients in a large bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes. Take the bowl out and stir everything together. Microwave again for 1 minute, and then stir. Repeat as needed until the cheeses are melted and the dip is smooth.
- Oven-Baked Instructions: Cut down your Velveeta and cream cheese into 1/4-inch cubes. Stir all the ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer the dip mixture to a 9-inch x 9-inch baking dip and spread into an even layer. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The dip will be bubbling and the top will be golden.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.