You can add the flavor of bacon to all the things with Smoky Bacon Salt. Go ahead and save this one, you’re gonna use it A LOT!
Why We Love Bacon Salt
- Imagine a world where everything has a light bacon flavor without cooking bacon every time you want that flavor.
- Bacon Salt is the next best thing to bacon, it actually has bacon as an ingredient, and it is fantastic on everything! So far my favorite use for this salt is replacing regular salt in recipes like Creamed Corn.
- Bacon Salt can replace regular salt in your favorite savory recipes and add that deliciously addictive flavor of bacon to it. From french fries to steak and burgers, even pasta dishes are great with it.
- It is so easy to make your own DIY bacon salt instead of paying high prices for it in specialty stores or that have mystery ingredients to achieve that yummy bacon flavor.
What is bacon salt made of?
BACON: Make sure to read the notes for this recipe to get your bacon just right for making it into salt
SALT: Coarse Sea Salt works best, you want to be able to grind up the salt with the bacon, so if it is already fine it will become too soft and powdery
PAPRIKA: Smoked Paprika Powder adds a little color and a touch more smokey flavor to salt.
How to Make Bacon SaltJump to Recipe
STEP 1 Cook the bacon until it’s nice and crispy. Then add the bacon, salt, and paprika into the bowl of a food processor.
STEP 2 Process the ingredients to grind everything together until the salt has a fine consistency. Once the smoked bacon salt is ready, pour it into a storage jar or container.
Tips & Tricks
- You can cook the bacon in a skillet, make air fryer bacon, or cook it in the microwave. Just make sure it’s good and crispy so it breaks down into the salt.
- Microwaved bacon instructions: Lay the slices of bacon in a single layer on paper towels on a plate. Place another layer of paper towels on top and cook for around 4-5 minutes.
- This bacon salt recipe will keep for up to 6 months in an airtight container at room temperature in a dark area. Do not store it in the fridge or the salt will get clumpy.
- If you want a smokier flavor, feel free to add more smoked paprika or swap out half of the sea salt for smoked salt instead.
Bacon Salt FAQs
How do you use bacon salt?
There are just so many possibilities. Bacon salt makes a great rim for your bloody mary or whiskey cocktail. It’s a great finishing salt for your steak or for rolling baked potatoes in before cooking. Heck, just start using it instead of regular salt in your favorite savory foods and see what happens! Bacon-salted sunny side up eggs anyone?
Is bacon salt vegan?
Hard no friends. This recipe 100% uses real bacon.
That being said, J&D’s bacon salt is vegetarian. In case you’re looking for bacon flavor without any actual meat involved… Which seems the complete opposite of the point to me, but you do you.
More delicious bacon recipes
- Bacon Pancakes
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies
- Southern Fried Corn
- Loaded Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
- Bourbon Bacon Pecan Pie
Smoky Bacon Salt
- Cook the bacon until crispy in a large skillet, air fryer, or microwave. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate if needed.
- Once the bacon is cool enough to handle, break it into large pieces. Add the bacon, salt, and paprika to a food processor. Cover and process everything together until a fine salt forms. (You can make it more coarse if you prefer.)
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in a dry dark place for up to 6 months. (DO NOT store in the fridge or the bacon salt will get clumpy.)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.