Julie’s Best Potato Salad is my go-to summer side dish for cookouts and potucks! Evern the pickiest eaters love these simple, classic flavors!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
I used to hate potato salad. Kind of like deviled eggs used to scare me. It was a mystery hodge-podge of potatoes, a mayonnaise-based sauce, and who knew what else. Since everyone in my family made it differently (or bought it from the store) I never knew what was going to be in that serving bowl. Then one day, I was at my dad’s house for one of our family holiday/birthday party potlucks and I got the guts up to try my sister Renee’s potato salad. I didn’t see anything green, which was a good start. And you know what guys? It was amazing! The flavors rocked and I had 2 or 3 helpings. Yeah.
Fast forward to party planning for one of the boys’ birthdays. I can remember which one. They’re all a blur. I decided I was going to make my own potato salad. With nothing weird in it, like celery or relish. I literally shudder at the idea of pickle relish. Bleh. I whipped up a really easy dressing for the salad, boiled some potatoes, and chopped some hard boiled eggs and we were in business. This potato salad has become a staple in my house. I make it on a whim sometimes for no other reason than I was craving it and wanted to know there was some in the fridge for me to eat at 10pm. Everyone loves this potato salad and ever picky eaters like it because there are no surprises.
A couple of cooking notes: I like to use red potatoes and cut them before boiling. They hold their shape better than Russet potatoes and have a better bite. Also, if you don’t have apple cider vinegar on hand and you go to use white wine vinegar (like I’ve done before), you’ll want to add a touch of sugar to the dressing to replace the missing sweetness. You can leave the sugar out, but the salad won’t be the same. Trust I’ve made it all 3 ways and apple cider vinegar is the best!! So shake your tail feather to the store and get some.
- 7 medium-sized large red potatoes, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hard boiled eggs, cooled and rough chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces, and then add them to the boiling water. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the mayo, mustard, vinegar, salt, onion powder, and pepper. Whisk to combine until smooth.
- Pour the hot potatoes into the bowl with the dressing, and gently stir to coat the potatoes.
- Add the chopped eggs. Gently stir to combine everything together.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to cool the potato salad and let all the flavor marry together. (You can make this salad the night before and it will get extra happy!)