The southwestern flavors in this Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup will satisfy your soul! Comforting and delicious, this easy soup is a must make!!
Comfort food recipes like soups & stews are go-to meals at my house. They’re packed with flavor, simmer for hours, and make the house smell awesome.
I love that I can make a big batch and still have leftovers after feeding the family. Who doesn’t love a cook-once-and-eat-twice meal? People who like doing dishes, that’s who.
This easy Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe is the best! You throw everything in your pressure cooker and 50 minutes later you have dinner! No fussing over the stove or babysitting the pot required.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
Tips for How to Make Mexican Chicken Soup with Rice
- You can use fresh or frozen chicken in this recipe. I love not worrying about defrosting chicken in the morning to make this soup for dinner.
- Make a double batch of rice the night before. You can use rice you prepared the same day, but why not save yourself some time and make extra rice when you know this soup is calling your name. That way you can just dump it in the pot with everything else.
- Top this soup with your favorite Mexican inspired garnishes. I love shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and avocado on top of my soup!
This Mexican chicken soup is crazy easy to make. I threw everything in my Instant Pot and forgot about it for about 40 minutes. I still can’t get over that I can throw frozen chicken in there and have dinner in under 30-minutes. It’s the best! This soup is full of my favorite Mexican flavors and the rice and chicken make it a filling dish that’s great alongside a salad or all on its own. Top this soup with your favorite garnishes and you’ve got a winning recipe everyone loves!
Hungry for More?
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ yellow onion peeled & chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled & minced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts raw or frozen
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounces canned corn drained
- 14.5 ounces canned diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 15 ounces black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup white rice uncooked
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced avocado
- Tortilla chip strips
- Press the "sautee" button on your Instant Pot. Add the oil to the cooking vessel. Once hot, add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly to prevent burning. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the chicken, chicken broth, corn, tomatoes with green chilis, black beans, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, and rice to the Instant Pot. Give everything a quick stir.
- Cover and secure the Instant Pot lid. Be sure the release valve is set to seal. Press the "soup" setting button and then the "manual" button. Use the + and - buttons to set the soup for 15 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot has pressurized and cooked for 15 minutes it will beep that it's done. Turn off the Instant Pot and let it sit for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, carefully turn the release valve to vent (use tongs or a kitchen towel to prevent scalding) and let the valve run until no more steam comes out. Carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken breasts to a plate and shred. Return to the pot and stir to combine. Ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish as desired. Serve immediately.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.