Meatloaf is the ultimate comfort food. This recipe is easy and delicious so you can get a perfect meatloaf on the table any night of the week!
Anyone can make a meatloaf, but that doesn’t mean it is a good homestyle meatloaf, ya know what I mean? A good meatloaf is comfort food, it’s a chilly night made warm at the table, and everyone wants seconds. Great homestyle meatloaf is the perfect combination of texture, density, flavor, and juiciness all wrapped up with a delicious meatloaf glaze.
I am going to give you my best meatloaf recipe of all time! I have been making it this way for years, it is foolproof. I have another ultimate comfort food recipe for you if you need some more ideas. My family always devours every bit of my Chicken Cordon Bleu and your family will too, It is a major dinnertime winner!
Why We Love Homestyle Meatloaf
I love to make this homestyle meatloaf because it has easy ingredients I usually have around anyway. If I can raid the fridge and pantry to make a meal, it will be at the top of my go-to recipe list forever. My family likes that there are no strange textures or big pieces of half-cooked vegetables in this recipe too. It is very picky kid friendly!
I am going to give you all the details needed to make this classic meatloaf perfectly, don’t sweat it. This recipe is so good you can make it for your mother-in-law for Sunday dinner. Tried-and-true goodness friends!
Just be ready for her to ask for the recipe. (She will do this when you’re in the kitchen alone because she doesn’t want anyone to know she likes it better than her own). It’s quick, easy, and most of all delicious; so it’s perfect for busy weeknights too.
Panko Bread Crumbs: This is a specific ingredient because it makes the texture of the meatloaf perfect. Panko bread crumbs are a little bigger and heavier than standard Italian seasoned bread crumbs.
Spices: Dried parsley and basil, onion powder, and mustard add just the right flavor combination for a perfect meatloaf.
Brown Sugar: You may think brown sugar is an odd ingredient for a meatloaf glaze, but it’s not! It lends just the right amount of sweetness to balance the tart and acidic ketchup and tangy mustard.
You can try a combination of beef and pork for your ground meat or even ground turkey. If you go with a leaner protein make sure to add a touch more milk. Leaner meatloaves tend to be drier due to lower fat content.
How to Make Meatloaf
PREHEAT your oven and grab your loaf pan.
MIX together all the ingredients for the meat loaf and gently press the mixture into the pan.
BAKE the meatloaf for 1 hour while enjoying the aroma coming from your oven.
TOP Mix together the glaze in a small bowl and spread onto the meatloaf.
BAKE for another 10 minutes before letting the loaf rest. Then slice and eat!
Tips & Tricks
- Mix with your hands. This way you will know all the ingredients are mixed in and nothing is sitting on the bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Don’t squeeze the meat mixture too much, just fold and press. This will help keep your meatloaf from getting tough and too dense.
- Drain the excess grease after baking. If you allow your meatloaf to sit in the grease it will get soggy and crumble on the bottom.
- The loaf may shrink down while baking depending on the lean/fat ratio of your ground beef. I usually use an 85/15 blend.
- Let your meatloaf rest for about ten minutes before serving. This allows all the flavors to merge more and the topping to really soak into the meatloaf.
- Leftover meatloaf makes great sandwiches or sliders the next day.
Should you cover meatloaf in the oven?
You don’t need to cover a meatloaf while it cooks. This will help it have the perfect almost crunchy texture of the top and sides. By using good meat with enough fat it will remain juicy without covering it.
How long to cook meatloaf?
Bake this homestyle meatloaf for 1 hour. Then drain the fat and add the glaze sauce on top. After topping, return the meatloaf to the oven for another 10 minutes.
How do I store meatloaf?
- You can mix up your meatloaf and then freeze it for up to three months in an airtight container. When you’re ready to bake, allow it to thaw to room temperature.
- You can freeze cooked meatloaf in an airtight container and then thaw and reheat in the oven.
- Store cooked meatloaf in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
More delicious comfort food recipes
- Grandma’s Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Chicken and Dumplings
- Milk and Honey Dinner Rolls
- Mom’s 5 Ingredient Chili Recipe
- Scalloped Potatoes
The next time you are craving homestyle comfort food, make this easy meatloaf recipe and gather up the family. Once you’re done and the kids are doing the dishes, come back here and tell me how it went! Did your mother-in-law ask you for the recipe?
Homestyle Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ⅔ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon yellow mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Add in bread crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper, onion powder, and basil. Stir to combine.
- Add ground beef to the bowl and mix together by hand until meat and seasonings are well incorporated.
- Transfer meatloaf mixture to a 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan. Press evenly into the pan so the mixture goes edge to edge and is flat on top.
- Bake for 1 hour. Drain any excess grease that has accumulated in the pan.
- In a small bowl, mix ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Spread glaze all over the top of the meatloaf. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from your oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving warm.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Leave a Reply