Throw the best DanTDM Birthday Party ever with these easy decor ideas, free printables, menu ideas, and more!
LOVE THIS PARTY? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Follow Bread Booze Bacon on Pinterest
My boys are Minecraft obsessed. More than that, they completely adore DanTDM. If you don’t know who Dan is, he’s a British YouTuber that runs the channel The Diamond Minecart (TDM). His online avatar has 2 companions, Grim the skeleton dog and Dr. Trayaurus. He has all kinds of short videos of custom mods and Minecraft maps and other video games he plays online and my boys adore him. So when my oldest wanted a DanTDM birthday party, it was game on.
We started with costumes for the kids. My youngest loves pretending he’s Dr. Trayaurus (Trey) and the oldest DanTDM. So we got a lab coat for Trey and paired it with some brown pants. For Dan, the goggles were a must! I lucked out and found a black blazer at Goodwill, and bought a pair of blue pants. Then I sewed some yellow felt patches on top the pant knees for the kneepads and voila!
We got some killer decor ideas from my friend Jamie’s Minecraft party. She has a bunch more decor, game, and activity ideas too. You should totally check them out!
I had extra black balloons after the spiders were hung up. The boys ran off with them and came back a few minutes later with spawn eggs. They had ripped up pieces of construction paper and taped all over the balloons. It was perfect! For the diamond ore tablecloth, I layered a grey plastic tablecloth over a light blue tablecloth and then cut out rectangles and squares and T shapes from the gray tablecloth. My husband got out some core buff and paneled over parts of our house. The kitchen cabinets were turned into red stone blocks with shiny red core buff, and the entertainment stand got cobblestone makeover. I let the boys color a picture of DanTDM and Dr. Trayaurus to hang up too.
- Cobblestone Background
- Black Balloons
- Gray Plastic Tablecloth
- Blue Plastic Tablecloth
- Purple Streamers
- Black Streamers
We greeted everyone with a picture of Trey & Grim and sent them inside to build Minecraft mobs with this set. They were totally awesome and somewhat bigger than I expected them to be. My boys have been playing with them ever since the party.
For the party food, I went through the Minecraft food list and looked at some of the most common elements (like grass and lava) that could translate into food. Here’s what we used for everything:
- cake – birthday cake (even though it wasn’t a Minecraft looking cake, it’s cake.)
- carrot – baby carrots
- chicken – chicken nuggets
- cookie – chocolate chip cookies
- diamond punch – we had to have a blue drink to go with the theme (printable recipe below)
- fish – Swedish fish or goldfish crackers
- grass – chocolate cake squares topped with green frosting
- lava #1 – salsa (and chips)
- lava #2 – Colby jack cheese squares (because the colors are swirly, like the lava)
- pork chops – Lil’ Smokies wrapped in crescent rolls
- spawn eggs – deviled eggs that are crackle dyed (I used this tutorial)
- sticks – pretzel sticks/rods
- water – water bottles with DanTDM labels (we used the “water sign” for the drink cooler)
There are a bunch of other food ideas in the food tent label printable set you can use as it fits your party.
- bread (rolls for sandwiches)
- coal (black rice krisipie treats)
- gold ingot (gold bar wrapped chocolates)
- melon (watermelon slices)
- mushroom (marshmallows dipped in red candy melts & topped with white chocolate chips)
- potato (fries or potato chips)
- pumpkin pie
- slimeball (green gumballs)
- steak (burgers or meatballs).
- Frost Glacier Freeze Gatorade Powder enough to make 1 gallon
- 1/2 gallon cold water
- 1/2 gallon lemon-lime soda I used most of a 2-liter bottle
Pour the Gatorade powder into a gallon-sized beverage dispenser.
Add the water and stir until the powder is dissolved.
Pour in 1/2 gallon lemon-lime soda. Stir to combine.
Chill until ready to serve.
If you can't find the Gatorade powder, you can substitute 1/2 gallon of ready to drink Glacier Freeze Gatorade.
And you can’t have a DanTDM party without face cake. I made a square 2-layer chocolate cake filled and iced with cream cheese frosting. I dyed white fondant with a touch of yellow and pink food coloring to create the skin tone color. I used 3 colors of blue to get the goggles color right (the lightest color is teal, the medium color is teal + electric blue, and the darkest is teal + electric blue + navy blue). Then I used brown to make the hair (in hindsight I could have used the electric blue for Dan’s hair too) and black to make to make the goggle pieces. Just be careful to make the black part of the eyes a 1/4 of the actual white eye area. Dan looks a little cross-eyed on my cake.
- Teal gel food coloring
- Electric Blue gel food coloring
- Navy gel food coloring
- Warm Brown gel food coloring
- Super Black gel food coloring
- Soft Pink gel food coloring
- Egg Yellow gel food coloring
- White Fondant
Click the download links below to get the PDF file for each printable.
Store your water in the fridge to cool it. Placing the labels in ice will cause the ink to run as the ice melts.
Set includes 20 BINGO cards and caller’s card
More Minecraft Party Ideas
Epic Minecraft Birthday Party from Meet Penny
Minecraft Bookmarks from Grunge Zombie (These are great for party favors!)
DanTDM Face Paint Tutorial from Bobbi Bicker
DanTDM Pinata from Etsy
Printable Minecraft Villager Mask (Dr. Trayaurus) from FPS x Games