Posted by https://breadboozebacon.com/chocolate-cream-pie/
© 2015 Bread Booze Bacon. All rights reserved.
4 hours 5 mins
Classic Chocolate Cream Pie is a creamy, dreamy slice of happiness no one can resist!
- 1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust, cooked and cooled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 9 ounces)
- 1 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mini chocolate chips, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, salt, and cornstarch.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the milk, half-and-half, and egg yolks.
- Place the saucepan over medium to medium-high heat and whisk in the sugar mixture. Cook until the mixture bubbles and thickens, stirring often. Once the milk mixture feels pudding-like (after about 8 to 10 minutes), remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the butter and vanilla and whisk until the butter is melted. Add the chocolate chips and whisk until the chocolate and milk mixture are completely combined (no white showing).
- Pour the chocolate filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the pie, making sure it touches the surface of the filling.
- Refrigerate until the filling has cooled completely and is set.
- Add the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla to a large mixing bowl. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the top of the cooled pie. I like to put all the whipped cream in the center and spread it out towards the edges, and leave a ½-inch gap around the edge so you can see the filling.
- Sprinkle the whipped cream with mini chocolate chips. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
If half-and-half is not available, you can substitute the same amount of milk.
Loading nutrition data...