Posted by https://breadboozebacon.com/black-bean-cakes-corn-mango-salsa/
© 2017 Bread Booze Bacon. All rights reserved.
Black Bean Cakes with Corn Mango Salsa
Spice up your meal with Mexican inspired Black Bean Cakes with Corn-Mango Salsa! These crispy cakes are delicious, easy to make, and topped with a fresh salsa that'll make your taste buds dance!
Black Bean Cakes
- One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 10 ounce container roasted red pepper hummus
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil
Corn Mango Salsa
- 1 large mango, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 ear sweet corn, cooked and removed from cob
- 1 avocado, seeded and diced
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime (about 1-2 tablespoons), plus more to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cherry tomatoes, cut in half vertically
- Cilantro leaves
Black Bean Cakes
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place black beans and hummus in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Scrape sides of the bowl as needed.
- Transfer the puree to a mixing bowl. Add corn meal, egg, chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano, cayenne, and pepper. Mix until evenly combined.
- Portion the cake mixture into 1/4 cup portions and form into small cakes. You'll want them on the thicker side as they spread a bit while being coated.
- Pour the breadcrumbs onto a plate and spread into an even layer. Dredge the cakes in bread crumbs, coating each side.
- Add cakes to the hot oil, working in batches as needed. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until crispy, flipping once. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Corn Mango Salsa:
- To a medium mixing bowl, add mango, corn, avocado, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Check seasoning and adjust as desired.
- Place black bean cake on a serving plate. Top with a heaping spoonful of salsa. Place a cilantro leaf and one cherry tomato half on top of the salsa. Serve immediately. (I like to serve these cake family style on a big platter.)
If you're feeling adventurous, take out the hummus and substitute 1 cup raw chicken livers in with the black beans when you make the puree.
Loading nutrition data...