My Dad’s Coffee Cake recipe is perfect for making when you have company over! It’s easy to whip up and tastes amazing!
It’s been a long day, and it’s only 6am. Little man woke up about 3:30am with a major fever and he couldn’t get back to sleep. So I’ve been up hanging out with him. And since he likes to bake, we made breakfast for everyone. I’ve had this recipe for I don’t even know how long. I remember being about 8 or 9, and going with my dad to one of his friend’s house. The guy’s wife made us the most wonderful coffee cake, and I had to have the recipe. I’ve protected that piece of paper with my life ever since. It was that good. It’s THE BEST coffee cake recipe.
This coffee cake is the perfect comfort food. Have some with a big cup of coffee or tea, or with some cinnamon whipped cream on top. If you want to gussy it up a bit. The cake itself is light and fluffy, with a sweet sugar crust on top. It’s seriously breakfast heaven! Or lunch, or dessert…yeah. Enjoy!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups all purposed flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9" x 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a marge bowl, beat together ½ cup melted butter and granulated sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and milk; mix to combine. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the coffee cake.
- Cut remaining ½ cup butter into small pieces. Dot top of coffee cake with butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until cake is set and a crust has formed on the top. Remove form oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.