Creamed Corn with Bacon is a creamy and rich side dish that will make everyone come back for seconds!
If you’re currently thinking, “Hey Julie, isn’t creamed corn that weird runny stuff you buy in cans at the store?” Stop it! Stop it right now. Forget that sad excuse for creamed corn and let’s realign your perception. This creamed corn is everything creamy, rich, and decedent you could ever hope for this dish to be. And there’s bacon in it, so there’s that.
Friday when I shared the easiest Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe ever, I promised you all the recipe for the best side dish EVER too. So here it is! You will probably want to eat the whole dish by yourself and not even tell your family you made this corn so there’s more for you. But don’t. That’s a stomach ache you don’t want. Just sayin’. But you should totally have seconds before it all gone!
- 8 strips bacon
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 ears sweet corn, shucked and kernels cut off
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cook bacon until crispy in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of grease from skillet. Once bacon has cooled, crumble it into small pieces.
- Add the onion, garlic and jalapeno to your skillet. Cook until the onion begins to soften, about 5 to 8 minutes. Be sure to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Add the corn to your skillet and cook for 7 to 8 minutes until corn is tender.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cream cheese,heavy cream, sugar, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir often until cream cheese has melted and the creamed corn has thickened. Stir in half the crumbled bacon.
- Transfer the creamed corn to a serving bowl and top with the remaining bacon.