Coconut Sweet Potato Casserole is a healthier spin on a holiday favorite!
Sweet potatoes are a must for our holiday table. I could almost forego having mashed potatoes for sweet potatoes…almost. While I love to eat sweet potatoes every way under the sun (alla Green Eggs & Ham) sweet potato casserole has always held a special place in my heart. Maybe it’s the memories of it on our holiday table growing up, maybe it’s the pure joy I feel at a big casserole dish full of sweet potatoes. No matter the reason, they’re the best!
This year for Thanksgiving I wanted to do something a little different with our sweet potatoes. While topping them with marshmallows & caramel it always good, I decided to lighten things up. I think my aunt would be SUPER proud of me. Instead of half-n-half, maple syrup, brown sugar, an egg, and sugary toppings, I decided to grab a can of coconut cream, some honey, and a ton of coconut flakes. (the giant flakes, not the tiny shredded stuff) It was a-m-a-z-i-n-g! I made this casserole on the not so sweet side, but you can add more honey (or agave or whatever sweetener you like) to taste. Warm everything through and you’ll have a gorgeous casserole that no one would even suspect is healthy!
If you love tasty sweet potato recipes as much as I do, then you’re in luck! This month’s feast & devour is all about sweet potatoes!! We’re showing you how to eat them for every meal from breakfast to dinner!
Coconut Sweet Potato Casserole from Bread Booze Bacon
Baked Sweet Potato Donuts from I Heart Eating
Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls from Kleinworth & Co.
Candied Sweet Potato Stacks from Cooking with Curls
Cranberry Sweet Potato Casserole from Home.Made.Interest.
Harvest Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner from The Creative Bite
Butter Pecan Sweet Potatoes from Liz on Call
Hungry for More?
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- One 14-ounce can coconut cream
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 ounces organic coconut flakes (the big ones, not the shredded stuff)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potato pieces into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with coconut and season with salt & pepper. Toss to coat the potatoes.
- Pour the sweet potatoes onto your prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from the oven and let rest until cool enough to handle.
- Place half of the sweet potatoes in a food processor. Pour in half of the coconut cream, honey, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Puree until mostly smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Transfer the sweet potatoes to 2.5-quart casserole dish and repeat with the remaining potatoes, coconut cream, honey, and salt.
- Stir the potatoes together in the casserole dish, and then spread evenly.
- Top the casserole with coconut flakes, spreading then all over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until warmed through.
- Removed from the oven and serve immediately.