Posted by Julie Kotzbachhttp://breadboozebacon.com/chicken-cornbread-casserole/
© 2014 Bread Booze Bacon. All rights reserved.
Chicken & Cornbread Casserole
Chicken + Cornbread Casserole is one of those dishes that just screams comfort food! Every time I eat it, I'm transported back to my grandma's kitchen.
cups cornbread, crumbled
teaspoon seasoned salt
teaspoon dried sage
cup unsalted butter, melted
cups chicken stock
cup sour cream
chicken breasts, cooked and diced
teaspoon onion powder
teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
Salt to taste
cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine cornbread, seasoned salt, and sage. Pour in melted butter and chicken stock. Gently stir to moisten cornbread.
- In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, and mayonnaise. Add chicken, onion powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Coat the bottom of a 9" x 11" baking dish with half the cornbread mixture. Gently press the crumbs into the dish. Don't pack them in, just a little smoosh. Top crumbs with all of the chicken mixture. Spread chicken evenly over cornbread. Top chicken with remaining cornbread, spread evenly, and don't press the crumbs...just leave them as is.
- Top casserole with cheese and bake for 30 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve warm.
I used 2 boxes of prepared Jiffy cornbread mix and baked it in a 9-inch by 13-inch dish at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes to have enough cornbread for this dish. You also could use a different brand or a homemade cornbread recipe if you prefer.