Posted by Julie Kotzbachhttp://breadboozebacon.com/bacon-bean-soup/
© 2016 Bread Booze Bacon. All rights reserved.
1 hour 20 mins
Bacon Bean Soup is what comfort food is all about! Easy to make and full of flavor for a meal you'll love!
to 12 strips bacon, diced
yellow onion, diced
celery stalk, diced
carrot, peeled & diced
Two 15 ounce cans Great Northern beans, drained
to 3 cups chicken broth
ounces tomato sauce
Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to the bacon grease. Cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the beans and chicken broth. Stir to combine. Add the bay leaf.
- Increase heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup, Transfer the soup to a blender, food processor, or grab your immersion blender. Carefully pulse the soup until your desired consistency is reached. (I like the beans broken down, but not completely smooth.)
- Return the soup to the pot (unless you used your immersion blender) and add the tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Add ½ of the bacon back into the soup, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Portion soup into serving bowls and garnish with remaining bacon. Serve immediately.
If you like your soups thicker, use 2 cups chicken broth. If you don't mind your soup on the runny side, use 3 cups broth.