This post first appeared on Real Housemoms where I am a contributor.
Apple Raisin Breakfast Casserole is full of delicious morning flavors that’ll have everyone asking for seconds!
Casseroles are one of my favorite types of recipes ever. Whether it’s easy breakfast casserole ideas, side dishes, or dinners…they’re a life saver. This Apple Raisin Breakfast Casserole combines the sweet flavors of apples and raisins with pops of crisp salty bacon for the best bite of breakfast!
I started this recipe off with my Cinnamon Raisin Bread Recipe. You could totally use store-bought cinnamon raisin bread too, I don’t judge. If you prefer a plain French bread as the base for this recipe, be sure to add the raisins and about 2 tablespoons of sugar to give the egg mixture the sweetness you’d normally get from the cinnamon raisin bread. Since I’m one of those bacon freaks, I added some bacon too. You don’t have to do this, but OMG it is delicious. The whole sweet and salty thing gets me every time.
- 6 strips bacon, diced
- 6 eggs
- 1½ cup milk
- 6 to 7 cups cinnamon raisin bread (store-bought or homemade)
- 2 granny smith apples
- ½ cup raisins, optional
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add bacon to the hot skillet and cook until crispy, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and milk.
- Slice the bread into ½-inch cubes and place in the mixing bowl.
- Core the apples and cut into bite-sized pieces. Add to the mixing bowl along with almost all of the bacon and raisins, if desired.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix everything together, making sure all of the bread is coated in the egg mixture.
- Pour into a 9-inch by 13-inch casserole dish or lasagna pan (with high sides) and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining bacon on top.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Do this after you combine everything so the casserole ingredients can marry a bit before baking.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the casserole is set and golden on top.
- Carefully remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.